It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Retolexing
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:55 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hey everybody, new to this forum.

So I've been talking to some techs in the Northern California and Colorado, and it seems that retolexing and reconing is what's in demand.

That said, I have some few questions which I haven't been to find straight answers for online or in this forum (unless I'm inept at choosing keywords), and the techs didn't know a lot about.

My questions...

1) I know Tolex refers to a specific type of covering for the old Fenders, but for modern gear, can any amp or speaker cabinet be retolexed?

2) What tools are essential for retolexing?

3) Most importantly (haven't found consistent answers for this one), how do you go about removing old tolex?

4) Also, if I screw up gluing to tolex, is the tolex screwed or can I simply remove it and try again, assuming the measurements are still correct?

If I've missed a topic on this that's already addressed this, I'd appreciate some guidance towards it, thanks!

Blackstar HT-100 + Peavey Valveking 100 in stereo through Marshall 1960B
ESP LTD-1000 w/ EMG 81/60
Boss PS5
EHX Memory Toy
Boss HM-2
TC Flashback Delay
Boss GE-7

On resevere: Hot Rod Deluxe, Tele, Epiphone

Post subject: Re: Retolexing
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:11 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I'm sure Arjay will be able to chime in on this one. He has built and restored a number of amps and cabinets. I'm sure he can put you in the right direction.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:46 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

These photos show the tool array that I use when working with Tolex......

You can apply Tolex to virtually anything provided the correct adhesive is used in the specified manner -- years ago it was used to create "vinyl" tops for automobiles back when such novelties were fashionable.

Note the tools depicted -- the wallpaper rollers are used to smooth the panels out after application to the cabinet. The large one is flexible rubber while the smaller one is hard plastic (used to crimp the material tight into the corners where the Tolex wraps into the interior-cleat areas. A fresh blade in the utility knife is essential for precision cuts -- change it as often as necessary. The 24" steel framing square is also a mandatory requirement.

I favor the red-label DAP liquid contact cement for its superior bonding properties. Once cured, it's durability is very similar to the original horse-hide glue used in the past. Have plenty of disposable brushes on hand for application and follow the manufacturer's instructions explicitly. Adequate ventilation is recommended (outdoor use is preferred). Conventional mineral spirits or mild lacquer reducer may be used for clean-up.

Old Tolex usually removes quite easily -- peel one edge up then pull the piece along its length and it generally comes loose with a single yank. Old adhesive should be removed from the wood before applying new covering -- I favor a powered palm-sander for this operation. Use the old discarded Tolex as templates to cut the new pieces. I use one of my wife's seam pencils from her sewing box to sketch out the required patterns on the new material -- it wipes away easily after the pieces are affixed to the cab.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:57 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Awesome, thanks for the quick and in-depth response!

Do you do this commercially? If so, how much on average do you make if you don't mind me asking? I'm trying to get a feel for what I can expect if I become proficient with this.

Boss PS5
EHX Memory Toy
Boss HM-2
TC Flashback Delay
Boss GE-7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:05 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Yes I do it commercially, but only for a very select list of clients.

My prices are determined on a case-by-case basis and are confidential. Generally, I'm also re-grilling a baffle board coincident with a re-Tolex job so the cost is representative of a total cosmetic restoration, to include vintage-spec replacement hardware and fasteners.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:52 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Based on my own personal experience with applying new Tolex to old amps and the time required to do a job that I consider top notch, there is no way to make money doing this for the masses.

Best to install new Tolex for yourself or others like you who are just as crazy or have more cash than they know what to do with - rare in the world of musicians.

There's nothing prettier than new Tolex on an old amp, but when you tell a friend what you would have to get to do the same for him, he'll stare at you in complete disbelief... but he'll never tackle the same job for himself.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:47 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Arjay give you good hints.

I do some new tolexing only . It is not easy , you need to practice , take your time and it takes time .

Here are some tolexing I do .
These are amps I build ( not kits ) except the small red /yellow one wich is a small PA amp I mod for guitar , I builds cabs , steel chassis , point to point . Some are my own design.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:22 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Great color coordination, Stratele!

Personally, I'm more of a traditionalist......

These are all new-build cabs with the exception of the Showman which was a restoration.

Arjay

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:30 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

All your work the re-tolexing ? Great .

For these history amp you must be traditional and you do great job.

Mine are test , I pratice tolexing with on the shelf material found on sewing material store

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:40 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I've built and restored over a hundred Fender amp cabs over the years and even though it gets easier with each completed job, they all pose their share of specific issues.

Arjay

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:16 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

You guys are pros, dang.

From what I've been told, the best way to learn is just to jump right in.

Is that how you all started out?

Boss PS5
EHX Memory Toy
Boss HM-2
TC Flashback Delay
Boss GE-7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:25 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Pretty much. My first attempts (back when I was in HS 45 years ago) were pathetic. But I studied and I learned. The best tip I can give is to study and plan before you begin, and ask as many questions of as many people experienced in such endeavors as you can. And have all of your tools and all of your materials on hand prior to starting a project.

Arjay