It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Next Up- Excelsior
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:35 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I've had a few different Fender amps.... Fender 1965 Deluxe Reverb (not a clone!), Hot rodded Fender Princeton (not a reissue), Fender Superchamp XD, Fender Blues Jr NOS w/ BillM mods, Fender Super Sonic 60, and a Fender Mustang II v.1. I sold the DR and PR, traded in the SCXD, ebay'd the BJr. I have the SS60 as my primary gig amp (though its due for new preamp tubes), and I also am returning my Mustang II tomorrow in exchange for a Fender Excelsior. Now the only two reasonable mod's I've seen for this amp is replacing the Dark/Bright with a 500k ohm pot and swapping a speaker. Now I've thought about a Soldano designed Jet City 2212RC (had a 2112RC once). But I've too many good things about the Excelsior to ignore it.

What are you thoughts? What don't you like? What do you like? Has anyone "modified" theirs yet? Have any clips/videos?

facebook.com/313DBC

Post subject: Re: Next Up- Excelsior
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:44 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=75868&hilit=Excelsior

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=69704&hilit=Excelsior

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=83841

Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, BB King: The Ultimate Guitar Trio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:08 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I own an Excelsior with both the tone pot mod and swapped out to a Emi Lgnd 1518.
Great sound, but it is different (as in old school). Something like a Valco or Magnatone. It's not an amp for all styles nor for everyone, but great for Blues, 50's/60's Rock & Roll, and Surf.

I'm not getting rid of all my other Fender amps, but this one is also a keeper.

Do check out the referenced posts and the many YouTube demos (some of which are very good).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:02 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

DetroitBlues wrote:
What are you thoughts? ?

it depends on what YOU are looking for -- to me, it's a one trick pony, Albeit a pretty nice sounding one. at the end of the day, it's NOT for me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:15 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

bluesky636 wrote:
http://forums.fender.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=75868&hilit=Excelsior

Thanks for your opinion, or lack there of. :lol:

facebook.com/313DBC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:18 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

KidBlast wrote:
DetroitBlues wrote:
What are you thoughts? ?

it depends on what YOU are looking for -- to me, it's a one trick pony, Albeit a pretty nice sounding one. at the end of the day, it's NOT for me.

But how many tricks do pro's have up on stage? One, maybe two different amps? Typically, using pedals and controls on the guitar to make a difference?

I really like the Bassman, but I don't want a 4x10 combo to lug around. My Supersonic is nice, but again heavy. The Excelsior is supposed to be use at home and rehearsal grab and go amp.

facebook.com/313DBC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:56 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

With its very unique and old school sound, it seems to provoke strong feelings both ways; people love it or hate it. After changing the speaker to the 1518, it's volume, hence headroom went up significantly (Billm claims 10db @ the same setting...I measured mine around 7db). But the weight increased to around 42# (the 1518 magnet is huge in comparison). So these results made it a small/med. venue gigging amp and much less a home recording or 'grab and go' one.

BTW it takes pedals well also.

For a person who likes a variety of different sounding amps to suit his whim-of-the-day, it's a must.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:13 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

DetroitBlues wrote:
bluesky636 wrote:

My opinion is probably already stated in one or more of those threads as are many other's. I saw no need to repeat it since much has already been posted about this amp here. There are even more threads on the amp which a search will find. These were the three latest.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:08 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

bluesky636 wrote:
DetroitBlues wrote:
bluesky636 wrote:

My opinion is probably already stated in one or more of those threads as are many other's. I saw no need to repeat it since much has already been posted about this amp here. There are even more threads on the amp which a search will find. These were the three latest.

Lighten up Francis!

http://youtu.be/0OnpkDWbeJs

facebook.com/313DBC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:22 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

DetroitBlues wrote:
Lighten up Francis!

Wow. I provide you with links that contain a lot of thoughts and information about the amp you are asking about and this is the thanks I get? You're welcome. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:48 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

bluesky636 wrote:
DetroitBlues wrote:
Lighten up Francis!

Wow. I provide you with links that contain a lot of thoughts and information about the amp you are asking about and this is the thanks I get? You're welcome. :roll:

I asked for opinions, to which, per any of your posts on those links, were not substantial. Meaning, you haven't actually used the amp to form any sort of opinion, yet your responses come back bitter if not arrogant.

facebook.com/313DBC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:49 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Well, what can I say about the Excelsior after playing it for 6 months?
I Love it even more now, than I did when I got it!
I actually have had thoughts of buying one more to have as a spare if this one is giving up sometime in the future...

I have changed the tubes to JJ tubes... didn´t like the Chinese stock tubes Fender used.
Clearer, louder and more headroom. It is harder to get tube distortion without getting your bandmates mad... but as it takes pedals so well so I use a Tubescreamer to get a good Overdrive tone this way instead. I can live with that.

I planned to do the tone pot mod. But after trying out a 45$ Mooer Pure Boost pedal (an Xotic RC Booster clone) to fix the tone I decided not to do it. It works great to get the right tone for me this way! I have heard a lot using the Barber Bar-B-Q pedal this way.
And in fact I seldom use the dark position anyway... I like the bright position...

The stock speaker is a pretty decent speaker, and I loved it until... I found an mint condition Altec Lansing 418B from 1970 when we cleaned out a school's basement a couple of months ago.
I threw it into an old Musicman Bass Speaker Cabinet, hooked it up to my Excelsior (using it without the Excelsior speaker connected) and WOW! It was the most earpleasing experience I have had for years. It almost made my own guitar playing sound good!
Much more headroom and so much louder! This makes me curious about how much difference the speaker in the Excelsior Pro makes...
I have had thoughts of switching out the speakers but so far I have been too lazy to do it...

It is a darn good tube amp, 10 out of 10 for sure. I am looking forward to see what kind of new pawn shop amps, Fender will make up after the Excelsior and the Greta (still to try out...)

/ Sune

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:16 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

I tried one. It's a one trick pony and not that great of a trick. The stock speaker is really nothing to write home about. Push it and you'll find out. It's pretty much a novelty amp. I think the cabinet is pretty cool though. I wouldn't toss money at it modding it.

The Jet City is a much better amp IMO with tons of versatility. Bill was just trying to help, no need for the snide remarks. Bill is a respected member of the forum. Bill, myself and a few others have built amps too. The topics been discussed to death. I've owned Original Valco's as well as Dano's, Silvertones Fenders you name it. The Excelsior isn't even close to anything vintage. It's something a little different like the Greta and the Champion 600. If you like it, just get it. They're cheap enough and easily modded. For me, it's just not worth my time or effort.
Still wish they sold just the cabinet. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:39 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I kept the amp for nearly a week. In the end, I found it had its own unique voice but it just wasn't what I was looking for. My SS60 just blows the Excelsior away. I'm going to lug it around and enjoy it. I don't need another amp. Returned this amp and maybe the next guy will keep it. I must admit, I think it sounded better than my Blues Jr.....

facebook.com/313DBC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:45 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNQRfBAzSzo

:lol: :lol: :lol: