It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Excelsior or Excelsior Pro
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:56 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I was going over the recent Excelsior threads and decided to take a look at the new Excelsior Pro that is due to come out soon. After comparing the two amps, it appears that the only differences between the pro and the original are the speaker and the tolex. If so, would this justify the $100 price increase?

I guess what I'm trying to say that it would probably be in my best interest to purchase the original, upgrade the speaker myself for $90, and keep the original speaker as a backup or sell to help recover part of the cost of the new speaker. Am I the only one that feels this way.

I just seems that the cost of speakers being replaced in newer versions is never discounted from the upgraded versions price tag. The way I see it, you're basically paying full price for the upgraded speaker and for the speaker you never received.

Just my thoughts.

Post subject: Re: Excelsior or Excelsior Pro
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:08 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

socal323 wrote:
I was going over the recent Excelsior threads and decided to take a look at the new Excelsior Pro that is due to come out soon. After comparing the two amps, it appears that the only differences between the pro and the original are the speaker and the tolex. If so, would this justify the $100 price increase?

I guess what I'm trying to say that it would probably be in my best interest to purchase the original, upgrade the speaker myself for $90, and keep the original speaker as a backup or sell to help recover part of the cost of the new speaker. Am I the only one that feels this way.

I just seems that the cost of speakers being replaced in newer versions is never discounted from the upgraded versions price tag. The way I see it, you're basically paying full price for the upgraded speaker and for the speaker you never received.

Just my thoughts.

This is known in the business as the "miracle of marketing".

:mrgreen:

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:24 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:18 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Does it justify the difference in price? Probably. My understanding is that one of the most popular mods to the original Excelsior is to upgrade the speaker to the Celestion that comes in the Pro. That speaker runs $90 and then labor for swapping it out on top of that if you aren't tech savvy like me!

However, if you are tech savvy enough to swap your own speaker; or if you are happy with the sound of the original Excelsior speaker (as I am;) and you can live without the unique Pro color schemes... then why bust an extra Ben Franklin?

From what I have read, neither the original or the Pro Excelsiors are going to be around for long and the originals are emptying out while the Pros are just coming in to stores. Cheapskates like me had better grab the less expensive one while you can!

Haven't seen many of the original Excelsiors on the used market yet... but GC wants $250 - $279 for a used Excelsior when they get one in. Ironically, GC won't do a coupon discount or free shipping on used merchandise and, therefore, you can score a new Excelsior with a coupon for less than a used one!

my gear:

Fender American Special Stratocaster in candy apple red
Schecter V-1 Hellraiser in gloss white
Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat
Fender Mustang V (V2) and V 4x12 cab
Fender G-DEC 3 Thirty w/ ULT-4 footswitch
Fender Passport Mini

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:47 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Tiger J wrote:
Does it justify the difference in price? Probably. My understanding is that one of the most popular mods to the original Excelsior is to upgrade the speaker to the Celestion that comes in the Pro. That speaker runs $90 and then labor for swapping it out on top of that if you aren't tech savvy like me!

However, if you are tech savvy enough to swap your own speaker; or if you are happy with the sound of the original Excelsior speaker (as I am;) and you can live without the unique Pro color schemes... then why bust an extra Ben Franklin?

From what I have read, neither the original or the Pro Excelsiors are going to be around for long and the originals are emptying out while the Pros are just coming in to stores. Cheapskates like me had better grab the less expensive one while you can!

Haven't seen many of the original Excelsiors on the used market yet... but GC wants $250 - $279 for a used Excelsior when they get one in. Ironically, GC won't do a coupon discount or free shipping on used merchandise and, therefore, you can score a new Excelsior with a coupon for less than a used one!

It's an Eminence Legend.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:55 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Tiger J wrote:
From what I have read, neither the original or the Pro Excelsiors are going to be around for long

and my stupid question of the day is, why wont they be around for very long?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:47 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

darkogav wrote:
Tiger J wrote:
From what I have read, neither the original or the Pro Excelsiors are going to be around for long

Fender has strongly hinted to that effect. Who knows if it is a marketing ploy, or if it's real and why.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:57 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

IM4Tone wrote:
darkogav wrote:
Tiger J wrote:

Fender has strongly hinted to that effect. Who knows if it is a marketing ploy, or if it's real and why.

The Excelsior was meant to be a 2012 only run. Due to their popularity, Fender decided to stick with the Excelsior platform this year and introduce the Excelsior Pros for a 2013 only run. It is not so clear as to whether they are still producing the original Excelsior or if they are just letting stock sell out now.

I did have a change of heart about my Excelsior though, and decided to return it and either wait for the Pro or get a Hot Rod Deluxe instead. I really love the look and style of the Excelsior... but was just haunted by that voice in the back of my head telling me the Hot Rod would be such a more versatile and practical amp for me.

my gear:

Fender American Special Stratocaster in candy apple red
Schecter V-1 Hellraiser in gloss white
Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat
Fender Mustang V (V2) and V 4x12 cab
Fender G-DEC 3 Thirty w/ ULT-4 footswitch
Fender Passport Mini

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:13 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Just build a 5e3 Tweed Deluxe clone and be done with it. Tube Depot has their kit on sale now for $539.00 and it's a pretty easy build, sounds great, and is seriously gigable. It has a lot more tonal variation than the Excelsior. The only thing I found good about the Excelsior is the cabinet. Only my opinion. If you really like the amp, just replace the speaker. The lack of a tone control with only a dark, bright switch kills if for me. I either want a real tone control or none at all. Ymmv I had a Hrdlx and grew to hate it very quickly. My 5e3 clone and Egnater Rebel 20 are my goto amps and the clone is a great grab and go amp. The clone has way more tonal variation than my Hrdlx and it's built and designed better. :| The 5e3 circuit is very organic and dynamic and has serious touch sensitivity. Something my Hrdlx seriously lacked.

Just a thought.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:30 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

63supro wrote:
Just build a 5e3 Tweed Deluxe clone and be done with it. Tube Depot has their kit on sale now for $539.00 and it's a pretty easy build, sounds great, and is seriously gigable. It has a lot more tonal variation than the Excelsior. The only thing I found good about the Excelsior is the cabinet. Only my opinion. If you really like the amp, just replace the speaker. The lack of a tone control with only a dark, bright switch kills if for me. I either want a real tone control or none at all. Ymmv I had a Hrdlx and grew to hate it very quickly. My 5e3 clone and Egnater Rebel 20 are my goto amps and the clone is a great grab and go amp. The clone has way more tonal variation than my Hrdlx and it's built and designed better. :| The 5e3 circuit is very organic and dynamic and has serious touch sensitivity. Something my Hrdlx seriously lacked.

Just a thought.

Tiger J has indicated in this thread that he does not have the technical skill to changeout a speaker. Surely an amp build isn't for him, nor for many others who frequent this forum and are similarly lacking.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:51 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Pretty much the only technical skill you need is to be able to read, follow directions and solder. Believe me I'm no technical genius and soldering just needs a little practice.

There are a handful of people on this forum who have successfully built and repaired their amps with the help and guidance of some of the forum members.

The real point I'm getting at is the Excelsior in really a one trick pony and there are many, many amps with more versatility and tonal variation than the HRdlx. For around the same price you can get a 5e3clone. The Hrdlx III seems better than the last version reliability wise. Mine was airways in the shop and I couldn't trust it on a gig. For tone, I'd go with the DRRI. Plus it has two real channels with separate EQ and get the dirt either naturally from the amp or stomp boxes. IMO the Drive channels on the HRdlx sound horrible and fizzy even on the III's.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:56 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

63supro wrote:
Pretty much the only technical skill you need is to be able to read, follow directions and solder. Believe me I'm no technical genius and soldering just needs a little practice.

There are a handful of people on this forum who have successfully built and repaired their amps with the help and guidance of some of the forum members.

The real point I'm getting at is the Excelsior in really a one trick pony and there are many, many amps with more versatility and tonal variation than the HRdlx. For around the same price you can get a 5e3clone. The Hrdlx III seems better than the last version reliability wise. Mine was airways in the shop and I couldn't trust it on a gig. For tone, I'd go with the DRRI. Plus it has two real channels with separate EQ and get the dirt either naturally from the amp or stomp boxes. IMO the Drive channels on the HRdlx sound horrible and fizzy even on the III's.

Unless you gig, 40 watts is a pretty big leap from an low wattage amp and pretty much overkill for around the house.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:48 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

63supro wrote:
Unless you gig, 40 watts is a pretty big leap from an low wattage amp and pretty much overkill for around the house.

I picked up an Ex. Pro in baby blue yesterday (the only way the wife would let me keep it in the living room). The amp is pretty loud for in the house. On regular settings the most you can go to is 8 o'clock. On dark you can go up to 11 oclock before it gets too loud for house use. Very bare bones but good enough for what it is. I will probably check out the tubes ot see if it sounds any better. The speaker is a Exelcier pro not Celestion.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:21 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Glad you like it. 15" speakers are strange beasts. If you get a good one they're great, but a cheap one can sound foul and flabby. I really like simple. Same of my favorite amps only have a volume control. I'm not a big fan of tone switches only. I think the amp would be a bit better with a proper tone stack, but you could always pick up an EQ pedal to add a little flavor to the amp.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:32 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

63supro wrote:
Glad you like it. 15" speakers are strange beasts. If you get a good one they're great, but a cheap one can sound foul and flabby.

You can't go wrong with a D130F, an EV-SRO15, or a vintage P15N.

8)

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY