It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: EC Tremolux Review
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:13 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi all,
I have now given my Tremolux a decent workout over two gigs and have a better idea of what it can do.
Firstly, volume isnt going to be a problem...its loud enough for the gigs I do and in a small bar it will definitely cut through...I am mic'd up at all my gigs so its no big deal.
I used an amp stand to angle it up toward me last night and it worked well.
If you want blackface cleans...this isnt the amp for you.
What can I say?
I love it and in the course of a gig I will play pretty much everything barring metal and jazz...I didnt need to touch my pedalboard all night...wind the amp to 12 and use the volume pot on the tele ( I have an ash deluxe and a cabronita).
The trem is perfect for me and so deep...a killer sound.
The tone is amazing...everything I have tried to achieve with different amps and pedals is within the reach of this baby...light as a feather for loading in and out.
looks beautiful....you have to work your picking dynamics and volume pot a fair bit and work harder for your sound...but its worth it.
This is a keeper

Post subject: Re: EC Tremolux Review
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:36 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

i bought ec tremolux used. i read fender uses groove tubes blue low 6v6, which is lowest in clean. my low power function did not sound good plus les paul made it rattle really bad so i used only single coils. I downloaded schematic but could not find a range to set bias using allesandrfo kit nor do i know what preamp tubes v1,v2,v3 are for. v1 is preamp driver i think.
Fender site said i could go up one fine level without rebiasing. so i bought white medium gtubes but also got slovakian -best clean headroom. bigger tube too. now, lower power sounds good and les paul sounds better but not sure if this tiny ot and pt transformer can handle these new tubes without rebiasing. anybody know what v2 v3 do? or range to set bias? or if i even need to?

now

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:29 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Hi tombb

The bias setting is calculated the same for any tube amp. Plate volts times Plate current equals Plate idle wattage. Typically the best range is 50% to 70% of the tubes max Plate wattage rating. For a 6L6 tube, the max Plate watt rating is 30 watts, so 50% to 70% would be 15 to 21 watts. Similarly calculated, a 6V6 tube max Plate watt rating is 14, so the math is the same, just use 14 instead of 30. Using a bias probe, measuring Cathode current, is close enough to Plate current for biasing purposes.

I will send a PM with my email address, and if you send me a copy of the schematics, I can list the preamp functions. If the EC is similar to other Tremolux amps, V1 (7025/12AX7) is for the normal channel, V2 (7025/12AX7) is for the Vibrato channel, V3 (12AX7) is for the Vibrato effect, V4 (12AT7) is the phase inverter (PI), V5 and V6 are output tubes, and V7 is the rectifier.

Por favor, disculpe mi español, no se llega a la práctica con mucha frecuencia.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:05 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

OK, got the schematics, thank you very much tombb.

This amp is quite different than any other Tremolux, only one channel. V1 (12AX7) is the first preamp gain stage, and only half of the tube is used. Half of V2 (12AX7) is the tone stack recovery (second stage), and the other half is the phase inverter (PI), which is a concertina style inverter section. V3 and V4 (6V6) are output tubes. V5 is the rectifier, and V6 (12AX7) is the Vibrato effect tube.

I hope that you have a tube chart to show the layout of the tubes, because they seem to be out of order in numbering.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:51 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Regarding the Bias of the amp and changing tubes, I'm pretty sure the EC Tremolux is a spin-off of the 5E3 and therefore a Cathode Biased amp and does not require setting the bias for a tube change as a Fixed Bias amp would. The 60 - 70% rule would also not apply in that case, the amp will more likely run at 90 - 100%+ idle dissipation, normal for a 5E3 style amp.

I haven't looked closely at the Tremolux so I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:20 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

No, it's a fixed bias amp (negative voltage on output tubes' grids), with a bias adjustment pot, according to the schematics.

It is a unique amp, sort of based on a Deluxe, but with one channel, and tremolo (vibrato). The tremolo is the bias wiggle type too, which should be really nice. Two 6V6 output tubes, one whole preamp tube (one half of two different tubes), tube tremolo, and a concertina PI.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:10 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Roger That Shimmi, in that case it does sound like an interesting amp.