It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: 90’s tweed Bronco
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:03 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi, guys ... does anybody know who designed the little solid state Tweed Bronco from the early 90’s ... All I can see is the initials CDS and JSS on the schematic .... Wondering if they designed any other amps like that for Fender... ???

Sure is a SWEET sounding little amp !!! :D

Post subject: Re: 90’s tweed Bronco
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:06 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

The tweed Bronco was introduced in 1993 while Mike Lewis was in charge of Fender's amp division.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:08 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Ret, Thanks !!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:04 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Just guessing , but it seems the preamp Tone shaping has a good deal of the influence on making the Bronco sound so darn Good !!! The rest seems just basic circuitry and chips ... Anybody have an idea of how that’s done ? It really is one of the Nicest sounding SS amps I’ve ever played ... and I’ve tried them all !!! :mrgreen: Wondered if any of the other Fender line uses this circuit ... ?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:11 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Some of the Bronco's architecture was shared with Fender's "Dyna-Touch" line, which included the Deluxe 90, Stage 100, and Stage 160 amps. I owned and gigged with a Stage 100 for several years -- it sounded good and was as reliable as any Fender amp I ever owned.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:49 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Arjay, I have to admit being a tube snob for many years (been playing 49 years now) , tried many SS amps (hated em’ ! ) Found the Bronco and LOVED the TONE ... So NICE especially > a bigger speaker ... ‘ Thanks for the info , I’ll have to check those out too ... :wink:
Just thinking the designers (whoever they were) did a Super job !!! Like to try out more of their work ... JMHO, Fenders have always had Great Tone , but the little Bronco is amazing , and SS yet ... :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:23 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Well it's nothing but 'tube snobbery' for me now (fourteen vintage Fenders, all "glass-fired") but every now and then I see a promising new solid-state design. The trick seems to be building them to be durable in addition to designing them with the most desirable and popular features.

Arjay

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:39 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Have to agree , there’s really nothing for me that sounds like a good Fender tube amp 8) 8) 8) ... I’ve had a Bunch over the years , but it was just so surprising how really NICE the Tone of the Bronco is , and it’s SS too :shock: ... Since I’ve also dabbled in making amps over the years (starting with Heathkits , remember those ? ) ... I’m just trying to wrap my head around Why the Bronco sounds so darn GOOD !! Standard chips and all , nothing unusual .... It must be their method of tone shaping ... ?
As far as durability , I bought the amp back in the ’90’s new , played it a good bit at small club gigs and put it in the closet (favoring my old brownface Princeton) ... Couple months ago “found” it , plugged it in and was totally Amazed how Sweet it sounds ... By far now , my Favorite sounding SS amp !!! The amp never faltered , no problems !!! ( It’s built like a Tank ) I LOVE this amp !!! :mrgreen:
The lack of effects was never a problem because the amp seems to get along just fine with pedals ... :D

Am currently looking for another one locally , seen a few on Flea bay , but I’ve learned to test amps out in person , Before I buy them ... :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:54 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I remember the Heathkit amps quite well. My Dad put one together for me for my 14th birthday (the 1 x 12 PA27) and I used it for a year or two before acquiring my first Fender, a '65 non-reverb Deluxe.

Arjay

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:58 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Ah the Deluxe ... a Fine amp indeed ... 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:30 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Ayup. A mint specimen from late '65, bought in '66 for the princely sum of ninety bucks from the kid down the street who's dad bought him a new Vox Viscount for Christmas. I wheeled it home in my little brother's red Radio Flyer wagon.

Arjay

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:17 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

when I transitioned over from rack gear (living in a 5th floor walkup in Hoboken will make you sell a Music Man 65-410) to amps, I bought a Bronco for playing around the house. Was definitely impressed with the tone, and while it was great for playing at home, I found out for part of 1 gig that it didn't really keep up with the band I was emergency guesting with (got a call on the 101 driving up to SF to meet them at a bar in Palo Alto - their guitarist's wife had gone into labor).

After that amp was when I started to get into the tubed Fender amps, first with the Princeton, then the Princeton Reverb, followed by the Bandmaster, Mini Z and then the Showman. This year after rescuing the Tremolux cab I'll have to decide if I want a Tremolux or an EL84 like the Dr. Z Maz 18 or 38... Problems, problems... :lol:

Our band: http://www.facebook.com/thetoysband

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:59 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Ned , our secret for using the Bronco for small gigs is, we plug it into an Eminence Wizard 12” , (103db) which makes it Very LOUD !!! Really makes it sound like a much Bigger amp !!! For bigger gigs , I drag out my “Special” 5E3s .. :wink:
Recently we built a “Thrifty Loadbox” from an amp electronics forum , which allows us to take a line out signal off the speaker output ... Have yet to try that on the Bronco , but running a bit of signal into the PA would make it Louder too ... and be heard on the floor monitors too ... 8)
The Bronco is such a Good sounding amp , even if I use other amps (tubes) at a gig , I still bring it as a “backup" ... :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:26 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Good idea on the Bronco through an extension cab! I bought one off eBay that's the same dimensions as my Princetons, and it's definitely helped for some shows.

After I got the bronco, I went on my afore-mentioned Fender amp spree, so now have an amp of every size/wattage depending on gig size, whether there's a good PA there to mic cabs through, outdoors, etc. Here's what I've been using:

Bar/pub, us running PA - Princeton Reverb or Bandmaster
Indoor show, PA available with monitors - Bandmaster or Dr. Z Mini Z into 2x12 Bandmaster Cab
Outdoors - Showman into Bandmaster 2x12 cab
Home recording - Princeton or Bandmaster, Dr. Z Mini Z

My "backup" amp is now a Smokey amp - fits in the guitar case, but that 9V amp will drive a 2x12 easily in a pinch.

Options are good. :lol:

Our band: http://www.facebook.com/thetoysband

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:12 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Nice collection Ned !!! Hard to go wrong collecting Fenders !!!