It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Did they send the right tubes?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:40 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Last week I placed an order with The Tube Depot for 3 replacement pre-amp tubes for my HRD and today they arrived. :D
(See thread HRD Sizzling / viewtopic.php?f=13&t=76417)

This is what I ordered:
    12AT7 / ECC81 Mullard nos-12at7-mullard (Qty. 1)
    U.S. Made JAN Philips NOS-5751JAN (Qty. 2)

There are a whole bunch of numbers on the packaging but I can easily identify the two 5751 tubes. As for the other tube, what is supposed to be a 12AT7, there is nothing on the tube or on the tube's packaging that suggests, to me at least, a 12AT7.

Printed on the tube: 000-4024 | CV4024 | KQDD/K |83-01 Printed on the package: VALVE | ELECTRONIC | CV4024 | KQDD/K | 10CV | 5960-99-000 | 4024

I know that some tubes have more than one designation, so perhaps CV4024 is another name for 12AT7? Or did they send the wrong tube?

Thanks and Cheers!
BM

Post subject: Re: Did they send the right tubes?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:43 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

From the Tube Depot website:

http://www.tubedepot.com/nos-12at7-mullard.html

Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, BB King: The Ultimate Guitar Trio

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:09 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Oh boy. :oops: :oops:

Well at least I didn't call them up to complain that they sent me the wrong tube. :)

Thanks, Bill! Much appreciated.

Cheers!
BM

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:48 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

You're welcome. :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:06 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

The Mullard CV4024 is an excellent tube for Fenders, particularly in the Phase inverter location..

Our band: http://www.facebook.com/thetoysband

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:49 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

nedorama wrote:
The Mullard CV4024 is an excellent tube for Fenders, particularly in the Phase inverter location..
If I've understood shimmilou's instructions correctly then that's where the Mullard CV4024 is going.

Can't wait to hear how the HRD will sound with the new tubes. Hopefully the install will go without a hitch but this being my first attempt at doing anything inside the amp ... well ...... :shock: ...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:56 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

You'll find tube-swapping easier if you rotate the amp over on its side and use a flashlight to help you see how the pins align into their respective sockets. Or pull the chassis from the cab altogether.

HTH

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:12 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Retroverbial wrote:
You'll find tube-swapping easier if you rotate the amp over on its side and use a flashlight to help you see how the pins align into their respective sockets. ...
Thanks, Arjay. This would never have occured to me. One "concern" I have is bending the pins and scrapping the tubes but I'll try to be as gentle as possible and use the "slow and even rocking motion" I keep reading about. :)

Retroverbial wrote:
... Or pull the chassis from the cab altogether.
:shock: :shock: And possibly risk exposing the evil capacitors which are ready to unleash their 450V! LOL! I'll try the side rotation with flashlight approach.

Thanks and Cheers!
BM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:42 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Bluer Monkey wrote:
Retroverbial wrote:
You'll find tube-swapping easier if you rotate the amp over on its side and use a flashlight to help you see how the pins align into their respective sockets. ...
Thanks, Arjay. This would never have occured to me. One "concern" I have is bending the pins and scrapping the tubes but I'll try to be as gentle as possible and use the "slow and even rocking motion" I keep reading about. :)

Retroverbial wrote:
... Or pull the chassis from the cab altogether.
:shock: :shock: And possibly risk exposing the evil capacitors which are ready to unleash their 450V! LOL! I'll try the side rotation with flashlight approach.

Thanks and Cheers!
BM

You will probably find that in the HRD, just like in my BDRI, the power tube keys and the gap between pins on the preamp tubes are all on the front grille side as opposed to the back panel side of the chassis. You'll see what I mean when you look at the sockets. The first time or two I swapped tubes I looked up at them with a flashlight. Now I do it all by feel with no problem.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:25 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

bluesky636 wrote:
You will probably find that in the HRD, just like in my BDRI, the power tube keys and the gap between pins on the preamp tubes are all on the front grille side as opposed to the back panel side of the chassis. You'll see what I mean when you look at the sockets. The first time or two I swapped tubes I looked up at them with a flashlight. Now I do it all by feel with no problem.
I didn't touch the power tubes, but indeed the gap between the pins on the preamp tubes on my HRD are all on the front side.

As for the tube swap, it was my intention to accomplish this without removing the back cover. Not a problem for V1 and V2 but swapping the PI tube with the cover on proved impossible - maybe possible for someone with small hands - so I had no choice but to remove the cover and expose the evil capacitors. :shock:

For the benefit of those who, like myself, have little to no experience with the inside of a tube amp, I recommend the advice given to help me with my first tube swap and also some things that I learned during the process. The following applies to a HRD. It's very possible that some things will not apply to other tube amps.

• 1. Make sure the amp is turned OFF and UNPLUGGED.
  • 2. Place the amp on its side on a sturdy work bench.
  • 3. Remove the 6 screws securing the back panel. There is no need to do like I did and remove the 2 screws holding metal grill for the power tubes.
  • 4. DO NOT touch anything on or even near the exposed PCB. ... Don't even look there. ... Look Away! :)
  • 5. Carefully and slowly remove the preamp tube stabilizer. It should slide off with a little wiggling and jiggling.
  • 6. Grab the tube firmly and coax it out slowly, gently, with an easy and smooth rocking motion. Do not twist.
  • 7. Use a flashlight to verify the orientation of the gap between the holes in the socket.
  • 8. Grab the replacement tube and orient it so the gap between the pins on the tube match the gap between the holes in the socket.
  • 9. Slowly bring the tube towards the socket without changing the orientation and wiggle slightly until you feel the pins going into the holes in the socket, then insert and ensure that the tube is seated correctly.

So thanks everyone for the great advice on the tube swap. As to the results of the swap and how the amp sounds, I'll give it a test run and post an update to my original thread.

Cheers!
BM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:14 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

I ALWAYS remove the back covers. Makes things easier with less chance for mistakes.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:43 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

You're absolutely right about making things easier, Bill, and once I took the cover off I knew enough to keep my fingers on the OTHER side of the PCB. :wink: Of the many things I've learned on this forum, the most important - thanks to you, Arjay, Shimmilou, and several others - is a tremendous respect for DC Voltage.

BM.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:09 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

You're quite welcome, BM.

Rawk on!

8)

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:17 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

If you don't get zapped at least once, you're not a real amp tech. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:00 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

bluesky636 wrote:
If you don't get zapped at least once, you're not a real amp tech. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I haven't been zapped yet. Must not be an amp tech or I am meticulous!
Actually I just like to tinker!

Fender SuperSonic 60 2010
Gibson Robot 08, Gib. Faded Ch LP 07
Gret. G5120 07, Peavey VK112 08