It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Acoustasonic™ 150 - Electric Tweed Mode
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:03 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi, I just purchased and am loving my new Fender Acoustasonic™ 150 amp. I have read through the manual, but see no reference to the tone I am experiencing when set on TWEED mode and using my Strat.

The amp propduces a rich smooth distortion sound that I cannot dial down to clean. I was not expecting this. Is this normal? The Blackface and British modes are clean sounding.

...any help would be appreciated. Rob

Post subject: Re: Acoustasonic™ 150 - Electric Tweed Mode
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:17 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Uh, you do know that the Acoustasonic is really intended for use with an acoustic guitar, right? I know it says that it has modes to use with an electric, but they are modeling modes that aren't going to give you real amp tone with a Strat. It doesn't suprise me at all that you can't get a clean tone with a Strat.

Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, BB King: The Ultimate Guitar Trio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:32 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Rob, Bills right. They are made for acoustic guitar. You can try turning your guitars volume way down, but I really don't thing you'll get a decent electric tone out of it. I have a Fishman Loudbox Mini tried it after reading this, and it breaks up with electric guitars. I use the Mini with my Martin Performing Artist guitar. Why anyone would want to destroy a beautiful acoustic guitar tone with electric guitar amp modeling and a ton of effects is beyond me anyway. :wink: I want my Martin to sound like a Martin.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:55 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

ok and thanks, I understand - the manual is a bit ambiguous that way. When I saw "electric", I thought it may have set the amp to accommodate that signal I stand corrected and many thanks for the info....funnily enough though using the other two setting the electric comes out fine! Go figure.

Also funny though that you would want your acoustic modeled after trying to play out of a British sounding mode.....

I have a pair of Boogies I use for electric in stereo, so 'nuff said. My Martin and Taylor sound just fine through the fender and I needn't experiment anymore!

R

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:07 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

This is what the Fender website says about the amp:

"For acoustic players who double on electric guitar, the Voicing control also has Blackface, tweed and British amp settings, which makes a second amp just for electric guitar unnecessary."

If the Blackface is modeled on the Twin Reverb, it is no wonder that it sounds clean. You have to have all 85 watts of that beast cranking before it gets dirty. :shock: British means either Vox or Marshall. I would bet in this case it is Vox since those amps are known for their "chimey" sound. The Tweed in this case probably is the 5E3 Deluxe which is known for its sweet overdrive. That could explain why you can't get a clean sound. But again, these are just models and no matter what anyone says, a modeling amp just does not sound like the real thing unless it is one of the uberexpensive ones. Even then I would prefer the real thing. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:55 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

So back to bluesky....can/should I play electric through this amp? I seem to be getting mixed signals here.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:34 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

No mixed signals at all. What Fender claims and what reality is should be clear.

Use your Mesas. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:53 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

You Bet!

...bought in early 80's before they were for sale in Canada in stores - had to telephone the order in...I still have copies of the 'letters' I wrote, moneys orders sent and all original 'paper' documentation. No email back then...I have a pair of MK III's combos and they still sound as good today as when I took them out of the box!

Have a good long weekend! Happy 4th of July to you!

R

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:08 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

You too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:09 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

bluesky636 wrote:
No mixed signals at all. What Fender claims and what reality is should be clear.

Use your Mesas. :wink:

+1 Can't go wrong with the Mesa's. Great sounding rock solid amps.
Sorry, didn't realize Fender was touting the 150 as a electric amp too. :oops:
I've owned most of the amps at one time or another that are modeled by Fender. They really ain't that close. Tweeds like the 5e3 are very dynamic amps, meaning, you hit the stings hard they break up, lighten up on the picking they clean up nicely. Roll back the volume on your guitar, they clean up some more. You only get those dynamics from tubes. It might look the same on paper, but in reality it's not that great. Fender isn't known for its great effects or modeling. They're known for their Leo Fender designed tube amps. Some of the stuff IMO is pretty cheesy with all the bells and whistles. I guess I'm just too old school.

That said, as long as your amp suits your needs, that's all that matters.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:36 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

canadianbluespower wrote:
Hi, I just purchased and am loving my new Fender Acoustasonic™ 150 amp. I have read through the manual, but see no reference to the tone I am experiencing when set on TWEED mode and using my Strat.

The amp propduces a rich smooth distortion sound that I cannot dial down to clean. I was not expecting this. Is this normal? The Blackface and British modes are clean sounding.

...any help would be appreciated. Rob

I have the Acoustasonic 150 and on "British" it has some distortion, "Tweed" and "Blackface" sound a bit overdriven, I suppose "modeling" some older amps. I found that if I use my Boss BD-2 Blues pedal on "British" and turn the "Gain" all the way up leaving the "Level" at about 1/4 up and "Level" maybe 1/3 up I get some pretty decent distortion out of this amp for my Les Paul. Switching back to either "Tweed" or "Blackface" and dialing down the gain on the BD-2 and turning up the level and tone a bit I can get some overdrive tones from these two settings on the Fender amp. I haven't played around with it al that much yet but I intend to.

What I'm confused about, and have received some feedback from Fender on, is the "Stereo FX Loop" coming out of the back of the amp. I know that in order to keep it "stereo" you have to use a TRS (Tip/Ring/Sleeve) plug coming out of the "Send" jack, splitting the signal into right & left channels, into say a stereo loop pedal (or whatever kind of FX pedal you want as long as it's "Stereo", then back into the Amp combining the signal back into a TRS plug before plugging back into the amp. At least that's what I Fender told me (that you have to use TRS plugs for stereo op).

I'm just not sure what one would gain from doing this. ???