It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:15 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Blues Jr. NOS for gigs
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:49 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I've been wanting to buy a new amp and I think I would like the Blues Jr. NOS but I live in a small town and no one has one I can play. Can someone tell me if it gets loud enough for small gigs. I play small clubs and resturants. For my acoustic, I use a acoustasonic Jr, 40 watt, solid state and I rarely turn the volume past 3. Will it compare to it?

Post subject: Re: Blues Jr. NOS for gigs
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:06 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

FWIW, I have a Pro Jr. that i usually run through a 12" ext. cabinet, and I've played out with it a lot. For smaller clubs and restaurants, you'll be fine. It just really depends on how much headroom you want.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:12 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Yes, the Blues Junior will be great for what you describe.

I've been taking my BJr NOS out to my weekly gig in a noisy pub, and it has lots of reserve power. I keep my preamp Volume low (around 3 or 4) and the Master around 3. Any more volume would be too loud.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:05 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

jmoss,
Why do you want a Blues Jr. if you have never played one? Small, light, cheap???
If you are playing professionally in clubs and restaurants, take the time and effort to travel to where you can try one and compare it to the alternatives.

Personally i DON'T think the Blues Jr. is good enough to gig with, especially if you like a clean sound. I got rid of mine.

There is a whole cottage industry of "upgrades" for Blues Jr. for those who want to try and make them into something that they are not.

Do a search and you will find more opinions than you will probably care to read about the Blues Jr., but only YOU will know when you play one, and even then, a short time in the store may not be enough, but at least it's something.
'03 Gibson ES-345 RI
’08 Gibson Les Paul R-7 Historic Series 1957 RI VOS Gold Top
’96 Schecter California Custom Hellcat
’10 Squier Classic Vibe 60’s Stratocaster (Fender CS ’69 /Candy Apple Red)
’10 Squier Telecaster w/Bigsby (Fender CS Texas Specials/Candy Apple Red)
’09 Squier Stratocaster HSS Standard (Pearly Gates HB/SSL-1/SSL-1/Silver Sparkle)
’02 Squier Bullet HHH (S. Duncan: Little ‘59/Duckbucker/JB Jr. /LockingTuners)
’10 Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar HH (Fiesta Red)
Breedlove AD25/SR Plus Acoustic

Yamaha S90XS Keyboard

Amps: Bogner Shiva 80W. EL34 w/Rvb + Peavey VK 412; Egnater Renegade 65W. + Ampeg 4x12; Fender Blues Deluxe RI; Fender 40th Anniversary ’65 Twin Reverb RI; Peavey Delta Blues 115; Roland Cube-60; Roland KC-150; Marshall AS-50R

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:22 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

I won't gig with less than 20 watts. It's just too close to the edge for my needs. The thing to remember is you can always turn down a 20 or even 50 watt amp and still be okay. I hate getting caught short. You may need or want to play a bigger venue and if you don't have a decent PA and monitor system, you're stuck. But for those times 15 watts just doesn't quite make it, you're stuck with very little to no clean headroom. I've done really small coffee houses with a 6 watt 76 Champ amp, but those gigs are few and far between for me. Egnater. I can go from 1 watt to twenty and use both 6V6 and EL84 power tubes to suit almost any situation I come across.

I'm not getting into a tone or reliability debate or even my hatred for the HRD series in general. Only wattage for a given situation. It's your money, spend it any way you see fit. I've played countless gigs for over 40 years and it's just my experience.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:34 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

OP says:
Quote:
40 watt, solid state and I rarely turn the volume past 3

So yes, of course he needs a 20 to 50 watt tube amp. Makes perfect sense. Everyone knows that tube amps sound best when the master volume is at 0.25.

Perhaps he should get a 100-watt tube amp head, a 4x5" cab, and an attenuator.

:D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:06 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

:lol: Just mentioning the BJr brings out the most amazing BS.

Really, a 20 watt amp isn't much louder than a 15 watt amp. You can get more of a volume increase with a more efficient speaker than you can with 5 extra watts. If 15 watts isn't loud enough, then 20 watts isn't going to put you over the top. A 15 watt amp with an efficient speaker can actually be much louder than a 20 watt amp with a weak speaker.

And, there not only is no "cottage industry", but not one site that sells upgrades or mods for the BJr advertises to "make it something it's not", that is just plain nonsense. To say that the BJr "needs" to be modified to work right is just plain silly, to say the least. Amazing how many parrots like to squawk drivel about the BJr.

No one is claiming that the BJr can be made into a DR, or anything close to it, except those with a grind against the amp. Those who own the amps have a much better grip on reality and realize that the upgrades just make for a better BJr, and it will never be anything else. :roll:

Por favor, disculpe mi español, no se llega a la práctica con mucha frecuencia.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:27 am 
Amateur
Amateur

For me, I make sure whatever amp I use, it has to match the drummer volume in CLEAN -
that way the songs we have that i use a clean tone for, I will balance out with the drummer.
i up my amp's volume (DRRI) to about 5-8 and just use my guitar volume knob between clean and dirt
for small gigs tho, just use my ss22 volume on about 3-4. the ss22 clean channel for clean and the dirty channel for dirt.
My champ i love as well but no loud clean headroom, so I play it almost every day in my bedroom,
I have connected the cahmp to my peavey 2-12speakers, and it would be giggable then. So yeah i guess when i think about it, you could get a zvex nano and a 412 cab and go gig small rooms with that.
If i got a blues jr for playing out, then i would get a ext cab so my headroom would be there.
I love a low wattage good combo 1X12 tube amp. Lighter on the back, sound full enough and you can get the tubes talkin to ya without getting in a bad situation.....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:54 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

mw13068 wrote:
OP says:
Quote:
40 watt, solid state and I rarely turn the volume past 3

So yes, of course he needs a 20 to 50 watt tube amp. Makes perfect sense. Everyone knows that tube amps sound best when the master volume is at 0.25.

Perhaps he should get a 100-watt tube amp head, a 4x5" cab, and an attenuator.

:D

Hey smart guy, why don't you reading the whole post before you make the wiseass comments. I never told him to get a 50 or 100 watt amp. I told him in my experience 15 watts could be a little shy. Maybe if you played outside your bedroom, you'd know that. :roll: There are all kinds of gigging situations. Maybe all he needs is 15 watts. It rarely ever worked for me in over 40 years of gigging.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:20 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

63supro wrote:
Hey smart guy, why don't you reading the whole post before you make the wiseass comments. I never told him to get a 50 or 100 watt amp. I told him in my experience 15 watts could be a little shy. Maybe if you played outside your bedroom, you'd know that. :roll: There are all kinds of gigging situations. Maybe all he needs is 15 watts. It rarely ever worked for me in over 40 years of gigging.

Post #3 in this thread is me saying I actually use a Blues Junior NOS (the amp the OP asked about) in weekly gigs in a pub/restaurant (a setting exactly like the OP is describing) -- saying that IMO, the Blues Junior is perfect for that gig size, and it has plenty enough power.

True, there *are* all kinds of gigging situations -- which you have seen many different kinds. Great! But OP was asking about a very specific situation and a very specific amp (which you hate with an all-consuming passion).

Sorry about my flippant comments, but it seems it's not me with the reading comprehension problem.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:22 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

jilaw50's comment is just as powerful and valid as yours. MW, your idea of working just fine and mine are obviously at different end of the spectrum. Using an extension cabinet will give you more perceived headroom, but defeats the purpose of having a small portable amp. But I'll tell you what, small amps through extension cabinets are great. The Blues Jr always sounded small and boxy to me with its stock speaker and cabinet with anything above three or four on the dial. Cranking them really shows their flaws, but it has made a nice little business for billm.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:04 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I own one and you can certainly gig with these amps no problem for small to medium volume gigs particularly if you are the only guitar player and don't have to share your frequencies with another guitar player(although that still works fine if the other guitarist isn't playing absurdly loud).I have used this amp numerous times very successfully for my shows and also as a guest guitarist when sitting in with my friend's band and the amp always held up well...90% of my gigs are unmic'd bar gigs.The only time I ever had a problem was when I was playing in large,bad sounding room with a rhythm section playing way too loud.For Blues and old school Rock N Roll gigs this amp is a sensible choice for a cool sounding,portable and affordable amp.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:29 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

http://billmaudio.com/wp/ and an alnico (stay with .22's in the tone stack- think about a cathode follower mod with the unused triad to drive the tone stack...way more perceived vol...a friend of mine is infatuated with them and does all sorts of crazy stuff 'cuz they
have a good basis like a crate V5 to mod i go to his island and spank them for him but truthfully look into a Fender supersonic 22 i take mine everywhere very versatile or get a Red Jones :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:33 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

shimmilou wrote:
:lol: Just mentioning the BJr brings out the most amazing BS.

Really, a 20 watt amp isn't much louder than a 15 watt amp. You can get more of a volume increase with a more efficient speaker than you can with 5 extra watts. If 15 watts isn't loud enough, then 20 watts isn't going to put you over the top. A 15 watt amp with an efficient speaker can actually be much louder than a 20 watt amp with a weak speaker.

And, there not only is no "cottage industry", but not one site that sells upgrades or mods for the BJr advertises to "make it something it's not", that is just plain nonsense. To say that the BJr "needs" to be modified to work right is just plain silly, to say the least. Amazing how many parrots like to squawk drivel about the BJr.

No one is claiming that the BJr can be made into a DR, or anything close to it, except those with a grind against the amp. Those who own the amps have a much better grip on reality and realize that the upgrades just make for a better BJr, and it will never be anything else. :roll:

+1 I find it interesting that people who knock BJr upgrades think it is ok to mod their guitars :?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:58 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Geez, what a hornet's nest.

As usual, the answer is "It Depends."

Are you playing solo or with a band?
Acoustasonic on 3 - is this background coffeeshop music, or full show -- seems more like the former.
Is the rest of the band playing through Fender Twins, Marshall stacks, SVt + 8-10?
Does your drummer have only one volume - painfully loud?
Do you have a PA with a mic for the guitar amp?
Do you have a tilt-back stand or other stand that gets your Blues Jr. off the floor and tilts towards your ears instead of your ankles?

For some of the above situations, the Blues Jr. won't work. For some it will.

I'll play my Princeton Reverb and even my Mini Z if we're playing through a full PA indoors - everything mic'd and decent monitors. Everyone's stage volume stays in check and it works fine.

For sketchy places with either no PA or unsure PA, I have my Bandmaster combo with a Dr. Z Brake Lite Attenuator to tame volume when people are first coming in.

For outdoors, I have my Showman + 2x12 cab, since there's no back wall to reflect the combo's sounds.

On all of these I have either Fender tilt-back legs, or in the case of the low-wattage amps, an Ultimate Genesys amp stand that tilts it back.

So maybe it will work, maybe it won't. I can't comment on the actual sound quality as I haven't played one, but there are so many factors at play it's hard to tell.

Our band: http://www.facebook.com/thetoysband