It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Fender Super Champ XD - Dead
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:56 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi,

I was playing my SCXD and it just powered off without warning. It didn't smell too good and the 6V6GT valve closest to the transformer was very hot. The glass on the valve looks a bit smoky as well. I have checked the plug fuse and the amp fuse and both are ok but I get no power at all now. No red light no nothing. So,that's nice! It looks like some sort of catastrophic failure has occurred and the fuses did nothing to protect this from happening. I suspect that the valve has gone and the transformer as well.

Finding parts, or any Fender support in the UK, is not easy and on this basis I would have to think twice about buying Fender again. I love the Global Support page where you can only choose a state in Canada or North America!

Shame, as I really like the amp!

Anyway, I would appreciate any suggestions on what could have gone wrong and where I might find parts in the UK. Finding the 230-240V version of the transformer here seems to be impossible.

Regards.

Post subject: Re: Fender Super Champ XD - Dead
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:04 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Did you ever change the fuses? They should be a 1.6 A fuse see what you have in their If you are sure everything is good from the amp out I would pull the PCB out test the transformer with your meter. If it is bad I think the part #0074597000 is it for the transformer. Take a good look to see if anything looks burt too

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:43 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Hi A Merkin,

There are several fuses inside the amp. In particular, F2 for the filament supply. Make sure amp is powered off and unplugged when opening. I take it that none of the tubes light up? It is possible that a bad output tube took out that fuse. If that fuse is blown, you can remove the output tubes, replace the fuse with the same value, and power on the amp to see if the fuse holds and power light comes on. If the fuse holds, then the output tubes should be replaced, do not put these same tubes back in the amp. Check the value on the fuse, the schematic indicates a 7 amp fuse. The new fuse must be the exact same type, and you should check the bias with new output tubes.

Por favor, disculpe mi español, no se llega a la práctica con mucha frecuencia.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:47 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks to all for the advice. The filament supply fuse sounds interesting. The amp is completely dead, no red light, no tube glow. I'll delve further and come back to you. I have a gig tomorrow so it's time to get out my trusty 30 year old Lab Series that has taken all sorts of punishment since I bought new but still does the job!

Cheers!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:10 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

this may sound stupid but is the amp plugged in or is the outlet have power, sometimes its the simplest things that can baffle you.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:40 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Ha! Yes, always worth asking. Yes, I definitely have it plugged in to a live socket. I should try another mains lead just in case, even though the fuse checks out ok. Hope to be able to look at it in the next few days. I have the schematic so should be able to locate the circuit board fuses.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:30 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

OK this is what I have found out so far. All the fuses are fine. Resister R79 has blown and it looks like the transformer has also gone. So, IF I can find a replacement transformer (240V) and replace the resister it might start working again until the same thing happens again because this won't necessarily have cured what caused the initial failure.

How frustrating and disappointing when the amp is only about 18 months old. Time to dump it perhaps but not sure if I would get another one and not sure if I would get a Fender.

: (

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:35 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Don't those amps have a 5 year warranty? I have the little Vibro-Champ XD and I think it has the 5 year warranty.

If it is under warranty, I think Fender will just replace that amp with a new one, they don't usually repair the XD's.

Snowy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:38 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

R79 is for the screen grid supply for the output tubes. Possibly you lost an output tube which took out this resistor. What makes you think that the transformer is bad? 18 months old, what kind of warranty do you have? If your warranty is less than 18 months, I would not ever buy an amp in that country again.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:00 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi,

I had a friend check out the transformer and I think it showed no resistance across P13-P18. Does the transformer contain a thermal fuse that may have blown? Readings across the valves looked OK but I do expect that one of the 6V6GT's to have gone.

I think we get 12 months warranty in the UK but I am finding it difficult to locate a service centre or to find out how to source parts.

I looked up when I purchased it and it was 3 years ago. Doesn't time fly when you are having fun? I'll contact the store where I purchased it to see what help they can offer.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:40 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

A Merkin wrote:
...no resistance across P13-P18. Does the transformer contain a thermal fuse that may have blown? ...

The schematic shows what looks like a thermal overload protection on the P18 lead of the transformer (internal). You might have found the last symptom of your problem. It might possible to replace the link, but likely may be more trouble and expense than just replacing the transformer. All indications are that a bad power tube might have caused the resistor to burn and the transformer link to open. I would not reuse those output tubes.

http://support.fender.com/schematics/guitar_amplifiers/Super-Champ_XD_schematic.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:49 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Ok, so here is the low down:

The mains transformer had a dead short and had to be replaced.
A 470 ohm and a 330 ohm resister had burnt out.
The 6V6GT output valves had to be replaced.

Total cost including labour: 100 GBP = 156.94 USD

How much do these AMPS cost in the USA?

If I only I was a USA consumer with a 5 year warranty this would all have been covered. Perhaps UK customers should consider this when buying Fender products.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:59 am 
Amateur
Amateur

A Merkin wrote:
Ok, so here is the low down:

Total cost including labour: 100 GBP = 156.94 USD

How much do these AMPS cost in the USA?

If I only I was a USA consumer with a 5 year warranty this would all have been covered. Perhaps UK customers should consider this when buying Fender products.

I paid 199 US recently for mine. I think that is down from the original 299 asking price because they have come out with a new version that is now Mexican manufactured with a 499 price tag. The original XD is Chinese made.