It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Deluxe Reverb Reissue Keeps Blowing Fuses
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:06 pm 
Roadie
Roadie

I bought this amp (a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue) June 2nd 2010 and suddenly it will not work. It wasn't after a gig or moving it around. Infact the amp had sat in the same place for over a month always being played at least 20-30 minutes a day. After discovering the amp would not play, I first made sure the power cord was plugged up properly to the surge protector and then removed, cleaned, and reinstalled the tubes. After no response from the amp I checked the fuse and noticed it was blown. I purchased several replacement fuses of the correct type and tried several different external changes (plugging power cord straight to outlet, disconnecting inteneral speaker, disconnecting footpedal, ect..) to see if I could find out what was causing this problem without taking my amp to a tech. Nothing has seemed to have any effect on the fuse problem. The amp will power on for 2-5 seconds with the standby switch off before failing. Obvisiouly the fuse is doing its job by keeping something bad from happening to my amp. Has anyone had any experience with the same issues I am describing? Or do any of you amp doctors have any idea what I could try without endangering myself or my amp that would give me a clue to what the problem is? I know that a tube amp is dangerous and I will not dive into trying to fix the thing without proper research and knowledge. My father and I are both quite adept at fixing anything but understand that tube amps are dangerous without understanding what you are doing. If its out of my league I will take it to a tech with no hesitation. Any ideas?
Thank You for Any Help,
Russ

Post subject: Re: Deluxe Reverb Reissue Keeps Blowing Fuses
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:57 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Transformer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:02 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

My bet is a bad rectifier tube, but an amp less than a year old shouldn't be blowing fuses.

Good thing is you're not putting over-rated fuses in - better for a 20-cent fuse to blow than something else.

Time to get it to a competent amp tech or back to the dealer.

Our band: http://www.facebook.com/thetoysband

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:11 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

+1 on the rectifier. Or an output tube could be the problem also. With the amp off, pull the rectifier tube, and the output tubes, then power on the amp and see if a fuse blows. If fuse doesn't blow, power off the amp, install the rectifier and then power up the amp (output tubes still removed). If fuse blows, bad rectifier. If fuse doesn't blow, maybe a bad output tube. :idea:

Por favor, disculpe mi español, no se llega a la práctica con mucha frecuencia.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:25 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

shimmilou wrote:
+1 on the rectifier. Or an output tube could be the problem also. With the amp off, pull the rectifier tube, and the output tubes, then power on the amp and see if a fuse blows. If fuse doesn't blow, power off the amp, install the rectifier and then power up the amp (output tubes still removed). If fuse blows, bad rectifier. If fuse doesn't blow, maybe a bad output tube. :idea:

+2

Follow Lou's instructions explicitly to confirm the diagnosis.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:50 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

+3 I'd replace rectifier tube with something NOS. Same with the power tubes. They just don't make em like they used to.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:22 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

63supro wrote:
+3 I'd replace rectifier tube with something NOS. Same with the power tubes. They just don't make em like they used to.

From my experience, JJs are some of the very best and reliable new tubes available, and they're a lot less $$'s than NOS. To my ear, JJs are much cleaner, clearer, and more musical than GrooveTubes (and aren't most GrooveTubes just matched Sovteks, except for the 5751, which is a Mullard Reissue).

John

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:55 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

GT uses tubes from many manufacturers, Sovtek, EH, Chinese, others. They also have tubes that are exclusive to GT, made specifically for GT, not relabeled. Some GT tubes are made in the JJ factory (S versions), not relabeled JJs, but specifically made for GT. GT also makes a tube here in the USA, a GE re-manufactured tube made with the original equipment and materials from the original suppliers.

All GT tubes are thoroughly tested, and matched and balanced where required, before labeling or relabeling. Some people think that GT simply slaps their label on others tubes, but obviously there is much more to it than that. In fact, GT tubes are put through the most thorough testing of any tubes on the planet. You are paying for the testing/sorting, not the label. :idea:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:38 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

63supro wrote:

Indeed. I saw a nice pair of NOS blackplate RCA's on Ebay last night for $85. They'd be good for at least ten or twelve years of solid dependable service.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:29 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

+4 on the check out

90% of tube amp problems are the tubes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:41 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

johne1 wrote:
63supro wrote:

From my experience, JJs are some of the very best and reliable new tubes available, and they're a lot less $$'s than NOS. To my ear, JJs are much cleaner, clearer, and more musical than GrooveTubes (and aren't most GrooveTubes just matched Sovteks, except for the 5751, which is a Mullard Reissue).

John

I'm a huge fan of JJ's but rectifier tubes are a touchy beast. A good one can last decades. A bad one can cause you all kinds of grief. I'd still go NOS.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:59 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

shimmilou wrote:
GT uses tubes from many manufacturers, Sovtek, EH, Chinese, others. They also have tubes that are exclusive to GT, made specifically for GT, not relabeled. Some GT tubes are made in the JJ factory (S versions), not relabeled JJs, but specifically made for GT. GT also makes a tube here in the USA, a GE re-manufactured tube made with the original equipment and materials from the original suppliers.

All GT tubes are thoroughly tested, and matched and balanced where required, before labeling or relabeling. Some people think that GT simply slaps their label on others tubes, but obviously there is much more to it than that. In fact, GT tubes are put through the most thorough testing of any tubes on the planet. You are paying for the testing/sorting, not the label. :idea:

Thanks for the info, Lou. I didn't know any tubes were still being manufactured in the USA. Where is this factory located?

John

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:34 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

San Fernando, California

The new USA tube adventure:

In 1998, Groove Tubes purchased from Richardson the original critical materials and machines GE used to produce both the GE6L6 and GE6CA7 (aka:EL34), along with the original production processing formulas. In other words, Groove Tubes was able to acquire the the recipe, the original ingredients, and the kitchen too! The adventure had begun.

Next, several original GE vendors were enlisted to faithfully reproduce many of the internal components. For example, the company who made the original mica insulators has provided the identical part, on new tooling from original GE drawings. Also, the special plate designs are made on the same vintage 4 slide machines and are identical to the original parts, using the original GE plate material that is no longer in production. GT was able to purchased enough original GE plate material for many years of production. This special multi layered alloy formula appears a soft dull gray after heat processing and give this tube it's soft, warm tone...as well as contributing to it's superior power performance. While currently, some of the processing is located "off site" and will continue there until all processing clearances can be arranged for the San Fernando factory, eventually plans are to do all processing under the GT roof.

However, the internal content is now more than 90% USA origin (Incidentally, this content ratio is similar to to the original content of the GE tube as GE also used off site processing). It has been almost 4 years of hard work and significant financial investment in tooling and setup to be able to release the final product, but the wait was worth it.

http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/groovetubes.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:07 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks again, Lou! Very informative, indeed.

What did someone call you in another message, the Wikipedia of Fender tube amps?! Now I see how you got that title.

John

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:25 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Happy to help. But, no, not me, that honor belongs to Retroverbial. I just know a little about GT, I am a fan. :)