It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pro Junior Owners Club - sign in here
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:17 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

guitarlover215 wrote:
I recently picked up a Pro Jr on Craigslist for 250. It was made in 2006. I replaced the stock speaker with a Jenson C10R. I also replaced the power tubes and pre amp tubes with JJs. The amp is really quiet and sounds sweet! I love it as small practice amp. The Pro Junior is what it is...a basic no frills all tube amp.

I'm guessing you've got that speaker all warmed up by now.
How is it sounding?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:42 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi Mike...The Jenson sounds really nice compared to the stock Fender. It has more definition and snap if that make sense. Overall the upgrades only cost me about 80 dollars and it was well worth it to me.

Fender Super Champ X2 Combo Blonde Oxblood FSR

Last edited by guitarlover215 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:19 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Great, glad it worked out for ya!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:00 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

JACSTRAT wrote:
I keep reading about people complaining about having a hum in their PJs. They must have really messed them up when they were making them in Mexico. I got mine when they first came out and, compared to the buzzy, fizzy other small amps that were out back then, it just blew them all out of the water. I guess I'm lucky. Also now they want something like $399 for them. I got mine for about $220. It was $20 more than this one Crate noise box they had, right next to it. The Crate had more controls on it but, the tone was crummy and, it was anoyingly noisey. It was a 15 watter as well. About a year later or less, I found my VC used at the same GC. Took that baby home for $160.

~ ~ You'll never hear me complaining about a hum in my PJs.... ~ ~

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:16 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

jeffharp wrote:
JACSTRAT wrote:
I keep reading about people complaining about having a hum in their PJs. They must have really messed them up when they were making them in Mexico. I got mine when they first came out and, compared to the buzzy, fizzy other small amps that were out back then, it just blew them all out of the water. I guess I'm lucky. Also now they want something like $399 for them. I got mine for about $220. It was $20 more than this one Crate noise box they had, right next to it. The Crate had more controls on it but, the tone was crummy and, it was anoyingly noisey. It was a 15 watter as well. About a year later or less, I found my VC used at the same GC. Took that baby home for $160.

~ ~ You'll never hear me complaining about a hum in my PJs.... ~ ~

Same here! :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:04 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I was checking out WGS speaker site and, they got a pricey high output speaker that they use the Pro Junior and a Jazz Master to demo with. It sounds way impressive! If I did not have a great Weber in mine already, I'm sure I would jump on it. It cost around $70 or more I believe! WGS is an American company making some great sounding speakers. They are pricey however. I just figured I'd share that for anyone considering a speaker change. You can hear the demo on the site as well. To myself that has always been a plus.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:29 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Bump for the new owners. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:55 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I have one I bought in 09. Completely stock. Very quiet little tone monster, whether low volume or fully cranked. After the speaker got broke in I really liked the tone. I am glad Fender made a simple circuit EL84 amp that is a true classic in it's own right. Well done.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:07 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

SNick wrote:
I have one I bought in 09. Completely stock. Very quiet little tone monster, whether low volume or fully cranked. After the speaker got broke in I really liked the tone. I am glad Fender made a simple circuit EL84 amp that is a true classic in it's own right. Well done.

+1

Welcome to the club! :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:44 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hello. I guess I'm a new member too! I've had two pj's and three blues jrs over the years . Usually having two on at once for stereo delay and the like. This one i just purchased is an older made in the USA model that I bought to mod. I've already done the Fromel mid line upgrade and put in a Mercury Magnetics Tranny.I've got my eye on either a rajin cajun or ramrod speaker and will have that installed in a week or so. This time around I've also got a super champ xd to run together if i so decide.I've always loved the sound of these cranked but was always looking for a little more ooomph. They can hang with a band but are breaking up alot if they are loud enough to hear in my opinion. I'll be firing this up at gigs shortly and will report back. by the way, the re routing of the heater wires pretty much got rid of the hum. The tranny swap removed what was left.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:28 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I like the sound of the Eminence Rajin Cajun a lot for the rockin' blues tone.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:55 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Well, I hate to be a downer, but I'm on Pro Jr. III # 2, in the space of a week. They both hum. I returned the first and sadly will probably return the one I just got. I am not a stranger to these amps-----I owned a tweedie some years back that was quiet as a mouse and sounded wonderful, which is why I finally got around to buying another Pro, I missed that tone. But I can't live with this kind of loud background noise while trying to play, sorry. I will say right here that I go WAY back with all things Fender, including Mex made gear, and never have I had a problem, which is why this is really disappointing, and not acceptable in a new piece of equipment IMHO.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:14 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Just saw this! I am a Pro Junior owner and lover. I guess it's one of the first ones made??? It was made in Corona, CA. Black tolex. I've had it for around 5 years and bought it used on ebay. Have loved this amp since I got it!!!! It's great with or without pedals.....although it takes pedals really well. Since I wasn't sure if I should add problems to this thread, I'm making a new one to ask a question concerning this amp.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:08 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Jack, the first ones were made in Brea, California but, I think it is cool you have a Corona one. I did not even know they had made them in Corona! Does yours have the hum? Mine is clean as a whistle, no hum!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:44 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

JACSTRAT wrote:
Jack, the first ones were made in Brea, California but, I think it is cool you have a Corona one. I did not even know they had made them in Corona! Does yours have the hum? Mine is clean as a whistle, no hum!

No hum. Clear as a bell. The back of mine looks the same, just Corona, CA instead. I love it! Never had any problems with it..... until now, which I'm pretty sure I need new powertubes. They are the originals and have only been in it for almost 20 years! :shock:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next