It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Overdrive pedal for 65' Twin Reissue?
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I just purchased a 65 Twin Reissue. I am finding that my collection of overdrive pedals do not really sound very good through this amp.

Here is what I have tried,

BK Butler Tube Driver
Boss Blues Driver
Boss Super Overdrive.

All these pedals sound good through my HotRod Deluxe and Marshall JCM 2000, but the Twin doesn't seen to take well to to these pedals. Would anyone have any suggestions on a good overdrive pedal for the Twin?

Thanks for your help.

Post subject: Re: Overdrive pedal for 65' Twin Reissue?
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:39 am 
Amateur
Amateur

What kind of sound are you looking for, since they are tons of dirt pedals out there at a variety of prices? Can you give us an example, that way the gurus can better help you?
For what it's worth, I've been using a Wampler Ecstasy and a BB Preamp (the old orange one) and used to use a Boss Blues Driver, with a variety of amps (Mesa Lonestars, Marshall Baby Plexi clone, Fenders Pro Tube Pro Reverb etc) with good success for that elusive "in- between" sound. Hope we can help ya.

Matt

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:59 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks Matt. I am looking for a nice warm overdrive tone, not crunchy, but kind of a Clapton singing lead sound. So far all the pedals I have tried sound kind of raspy through the 65 Reissue, while they sound great through the two amps mentioned earlier.

I can change amps for leads and just use the new 65' twin for clean and rhythm. But it would sure be nice to find an overdrive pedal that sounded sweet too. I have also tried the Clapton crossroads pedal in the 65's reissue and it doesn't sound good at all, not matter what setting I have it on. Again, it sounds good out of the HotRod. The HotRod won't give me the nice clean warm tone that the Twin is famous for though. So I need to be able to get some good overdrive tones out of this twin. I am also changing to my JCM 2000 for the solo sections on the two SRV tunes we cover, and the Kenny Wayne Sheppard as well. I would like to stay in the Twin if I can find some good overdrive tones.

Did I purchase the wrong amp for what I need? A local tone guru stated that the twin wouldn't like all the overdrive pedals I use, and told me to go for the SuperSonic. He said it does clean well and accepts pedals too.

Thanks again for your advice.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:01 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

I think that your tone guru is crazy! :lol: Seriously, the Twin is known for being pedal friendly (as is the HRD). Anyway, check this video out and see if this is more of the tone you're looking for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAnk9MERLms . If the OD pedals are sounding raspy, I would play with the Twin's EQ and bright switch. For example try the Butler pedal first, with the bright switch off and the treble at 5. You also might want to try running the mids low (1-3) and using the bass control judiciously to round things out in conjunction with the treble.

For me, I use the Wampler for that slight sustaining OD kind of sound (kinda like a Robben Ford/early Larry Carlton vibe) and the BB for "heavier" stuff on the clean channel of my Pro Tube Reverb. Other guys really like the Fulltone OCD pedals (never tried one), GT-500s, and the Hermida Zen drives for more of a Dumble kind of vibe. The Esctasy is Brian Wampler's take on the Dumble vibe. Anyway, when I play live, I run two amps (along with a Radial a/b box) - either the Pro Reverb for clean stuff and my baby Plexi or a Mesa Boogie for everything else. I used to run a Mesa Lonestar classic with the Marshall with very good results, but it didn't sound like a Fender (but was very close). Actually now, I'm seriously considering snagging a Twin, put it in a head shell and gigging it with the Marshall. 8)

Let me know what you think of the clip.

Matt

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:17 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Did this "tone guru" bother to tell you that a brand new set of speakers requires a minimum of 20-30 hours worth of break-in time before they start to sing?

I've played Twin Reverbs professionally for longer than a sizeable majority of posters on this board have been alive -- there isn't a damn thing that the amp won't do as long as the owner understands how the amp's controls work and how stompboxes interact with it.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:58 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

No, he didn't mention the speaker issue. Good point, I have never heard of that either.

I like the video, that is a great sound he is getting. I could go for that tone. I may just have to order one of those pedals and see what I can do. I really appreciate your input.

Have you had any experience with the 22 watt deluxe reverb? This Twin is so heavy that I was honestly thinking about sending it back and going with something lighter. The guys at fender help line suggested that amp, as did a member on this board on the other thread I posted. However, I do have guys to help me lug the Twin around, so if I can get an overdrive sound that I am happy with I'll hand onto it. I have 20 days to make my mind up, I mail ordered the amp.

I have a Boogie MK IV as well. Sounds great on lead channel. I am waiting to get it out of the shop and I will compare clean channels with the Twin. I purchased it new in 1990 and until now I have never had much use for the clean. Different band now, and different taste in music and tone.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 2:25 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

You might want to try one of the Digitech pedals like the Bad Monkey. They all have an additional output that cuts some of those raspy highs (intended for direct PA input). That might do the trick.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 2:32 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

eddie_bowers wrote:
You might want to try one of the Digitech pedals like the Bad Monkey. .

I have the Bad Monkey.. And love it.. the only other one I would consider is a Ibanez Tube Screamer... IMHO anything beyond the Tube Screamer (in price) has an insignificant improvement and not worth the extra money..

I have never liked the Boss Blues Driver... Sorry to those Blues Driver fans..

I play through a Deluxe Reverb Reissue... Which is similar to a twin... just not as much headroom...

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 2:43 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

Ahhhhh the Mark IV :D ... I used to have one. Unfortunately, I thought that the clean channel was very "sterile" and "hi-fi" sounding if you know what I mean. Definitely not the Fender clean that I love. Dang nice amp for lead and cranked sounds, especially with the GEQ in the infamous V position!

I agree 100% with Arjay about the new speakers and appropriate break-in time.
Regarding the Deluxe Reverb, the closest I had was the Super Sonic 22, which had the clean channel of the Deluxe. Sweeet clean sound, but it broke up too early for my band situation (we don't mike the instruments), just like a Deluxe should. The OD channel didn't kill me - did respectable high gain but not great low gain, and the amp was noisey (Hsssssss....), so it was sold. Loved the features and the weight.

Have you considered putting the Twin in a head shell??? They're a couple hundred bucks, but it beats weekly chiropractor visits! However, since you have kind souls who are willing to move it for you, what the heck. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:05 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

The break up issue would really annoy me. so the deluxe reverb 22 and supersonic 22 are out of the question.

I have a Tube Screamer on order. Is there much difference between the $99 model and the $189 model with the little square button?( I have understood that those buttons go out easily)

The fulltone pedal is back ordered until 5-23. If I don't like the Screamer I'll send it back and try the fulltone.

I do recall the Boogie MK IV clean sound being a little sterile, that is a good way to put it. I'm getting it back tomorrow and will try it and give my input here.

Thanks again

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:07 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

Check Guitar Center's Used gear page. Betcha you could snag that pedal cheaper. That's how I scored the Wampler (and saved $50) 8)

No experience with either Tube Screamer.

Matt

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:17 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

In reply to the head shell idea. That would be a consideration. Then what would I do with the speakers from the combo? Get a new 2X12 cab with no speakers and install them? Would that even be possible?

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:29 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Some say the bad monkey is the best pedal around

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/stomp-box/97 ... eview.html

Just because its cheap doesnt mean its bad (not good)...

I certainly love mine and see no need for a different overdrive..

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:38 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

Yep, certainly possible; you could just buy a 2x12 unloaded cab (quite a few choices and prices and get exactly what you want size-wise features etc.) and/or sell the Twin cab (with or without the speakers) or just keep it in case you want to sell the Twin "intact".

I had both of my 1x12 cabs made by two different people and they each were a tad under $200 with shipping. Plan to do it again with the Twin (or what ever I go with).

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:41 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hey thanks you have been a big help. I like this board and since I realized that I now have 6 Fender amps I feel right at home.

Acoustasonic Pro
Acoustasonic 30
Champ 25 tube
HotRod Deluxe
65'Twin Reissue
G-Dec 30

I was a Boogie guy and purchased my first Fender electric amp in 2005 (HotRod) because it had 2 inputs and I wanted that for teaching. Turned out I liked the sounds much better than my two Boogies and ended up using the HotRod all the time.