It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Hot Rod Deville for SRV tone...Settings?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:28 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

For years, I've always thought I've been able to find a good SRV tone on my HR Deville, but trying to get a slightly distorted tone (for example, the first few notes of "Texas Flood") as well as a more heavily distorted sound has been more of a challenge lately. I can get a decent tone when I've got the drive channel at about 3.5, but when I want more gain for a solo or for heavier blues, kicking it into more drive just doesn't give me the gain I need. In order to get more gain, I have to crank the drive channel, but then the first drive channel is too distorted.

I've tried cranking up the drive and rolling off the volume on the guitar, but I don't like having to do that. I thought of using an overdrive pedal (which I've never been a fan of, since I've always preferred to use the the distortion of the amp itself). I bought a Ibanez TS9 once, but returned it because it really wasn't what I wanted.

What settings are you using on your HR Deville? EQ, Drive, Presence, etc. Also, if you are using an overdrive pedal, what kind are you using for an SRV tone?

Post subject: Re: Hot Rod Deville for SRV tone...Settings?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:21 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Hi Ricky, I have a Hotrod Deluxe... settings should be similar
For SRV I start here:

Volume 4-5
Treb 8
Bass 8-10
Mid 11

Rev 4
Presence 6-7

Presently, Im not using any pedals, if I did, I would just add a touch of gain to the mix

I use the volume at about 1/2 on my Strat for rhythms, and turn up to 10 for Lead

Finding the exact tone will be hard, but if you start here and tweek, Im sure you will get what your after

ope this helps

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:52 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

what about the drive knob? What do you set it at?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:19 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Im not using the "Drive more drive" for that setting.
If you want to use the drive Check this out, again this is just a starting point

Drive 6-7 Just "Drive" not "More Drive"
Treb 7 Bass 8-9
Mid 10
Master Up to you, (I use 4)
Reverb 5
Presence 4-5
A lot of folks are not fans of the Drive channels on these amps... I find that they sound a bit harsh... I would rather use a pedal for more gain...
Now start twistin those knobs and get Rckin!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:00 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

Didn't Stevie use a tube screamer himself?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:15 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

he did use a tube screamer. It was one of the older ones, because the newer one didn't sound too good to me.

I am not a fan of the "more drive" channel either. IMO, the hot rod amps are a 2 channel amp. Clean, and drive. The more drive channel is just not useable. Even with quality tubes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:44 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

Bill...I tried your settings...loved the result. Cranking up the volume gave me some nice breakup on the clean channel. If I could only get that sound at a lower volume! I also tried the settings mentioned in your second post...sounded great also. The extra breakup I got with the master up to 10 really sang. Funny thing, after a few minutes of playing at those volumes, I smelled something funny...I think it was the tubes. I put in a full set of JJ's and had it biased back in June or July, but I've never really pushed the amp (volume-wise) past 3 or 4 since then. Even before that, I still never had it up past 4.

I'm thinking that I might want to put in a different set of JJ's. When I spoke to the guy at eurotubes.com, he basically said I should go with a standard upgrade from the crappy Groove Tubes they had in there. I wanted to go with one of the "Blues Option" packages they had, but didn't risk it because one of the packages had tubes that would result in a reduction of wattage. But, I think that's what I should have went with...with the wattage reduction, the amp would break up and I could get that natural distortion on the clean channel at a lower volume. But, the tubes aren't old enough to justify getting new tube and paying to have it biased.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:50 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

That guy on steviesnacks gets close on the cleaner stuff. The dirtier stuff is where it gets tricky. Start by replacing the speaker with either a JBL or an EV, crank up the clean channel and hit the front end with a tube screamer. It wasn't uncommon to see 2 tube screamers. Sheer volume and really giving the power section a workout is key rather than front end "distortion". A TS9 or any of the copies will get you in the ballpark. The Hot Rod Deluxe I had was decent on the clean but a complete and utter waste in the dirty side. I had Tung-Sol in the power section and JJ's for the little guys.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:59 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

just not a big fan of the TS9. Wish there was another option. I hear alot about the OCD pedal...never tried one though.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:19 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Although you can get some good tones working with one amp you're never going to nail SRV's tone with just one,he played through several,Rene Martinez mentions this on his site and he sells a signal splitter so you can do it just like Stevie,you just have to have a combination of really loud amps. :)
Here ya go http://www.texasguitarwhiz.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:03 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Rebelsoul wrote:
you just have to have a combination of really loud amps.

+1

So long as they're the right "really loud amps".

:lol:

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:54 am 
Amateur
Amateur

with the ts9, it's set more as a volume boost with the level cranked up and the gain at a minimum. he would sometimes use a 2nd ts9 in the same manner, which is akin to "compressing" the soak at the front end. he would also use a fuzzface. also a Marshall cranked up as well as a Dumble in the mix.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:45 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

To use the TS9 properly ,your amp needs to be on the threshold of tube distortion.With a hr deville ,unless you are playing in huge venues thats never gonna happen, your od will sound like bees in a beer can.The key is to get the properly sized amp so you can dial in the sweet spot.And definitely use the right amp to get his tone if thats what your after.He used alot of different ones ,but favored blackface fenders, especially Super Reverbs,but also Dumbles.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:51 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

rickyp wrote:
Bill...I tried your settings...loved the result. Cranking up the volume gave me some nice breakup on the clean channel. If I could only get that sound at a lower volume! I also tried the settings mentioned in your second post...sounded great also. The extra breakup I got with the master up to 10 really sang. Funny thing, after a few minutes of playing at those volumes, I smelled something funny...I think it was the tubes. I put in a full set of JJ's and had it biased back in June or July, but I've never really pushed the amp (volume-wise) past 3 or 4 since then. Even before that, I still never had it up past 4.

I'm thinking that I might want to put in a different set of JJ's. When I spoke to the guy at eurotubes.com, he basically said I should go with a standard upgrade from the crappy Groove Tubes they had in there. I wanted to go with one of the "Blues Option" packages they had, but didn't risk it because one of the packages had tubes that would result in a reduction of wattage. But, I think that's what I should have went with...with the wattage reduction, the amp would break up and I could get that natural distortion on the clean channel at a lower volume. But, the tubes aren't old enough to justify getting new tube and paying to have it biased.

Thanks, sometimes I get it right :D But damn chasing tone is a full days work!
I use a weber mini mass attenuator to play at lower volumes. For added gain, I use either a Boss Blues Driver, or the BBe crusher, just depending on how my ears are that day...

Good Luck and have fun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:03 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

does the attenuator you use suck your tone at all? I've heard an attenuator will allow you to play at lowed volumes, but does what the volume knob on a guitar does sometimes....sucks away your tone.