It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: EVH 5150 III combo
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:06 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

This has probably been rehashed many times but I would like to know if anybody has considered making a 5150 III combo amp?-something a bit more practical for the home bedroom or basement since most won't play the pro hockey arenas in our respective states? 20, 40 or 50 watts? Anybody? and have the covering option in the red, white and black covering I seen on youtube. That would be cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:13 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Location: In a house....unless I'm at work....then I'm in a shop.

After all the years of these questions on the Peavey forum, I guess i am a bit jaded to the whole "Edward" thing.

His red/white/black pattern is copywrited, and he has been known to sue people who copy it.

As too a combo, there are always a couple of them on e-bay.

At first all you want are Hearts and Diamonds.

But in the end, all you really want is a Club and a Spade.

Post subject: Picture
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:19 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Hey Jeffytune,

Great picture and title, LMAO! My dad used to have that look all of the time when I was a kid. I don't know why though.... :wink: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:22 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

So......you'd like FMIC to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on R&D, engineering, tooling, and marketing costs just so they could sell three or four amps?

They lost their proverbial shirts on the fiasco that was the Sunn re-issue attempt.

The only way something like you envision would ever happen is if someone with the "gravitas" of a Vai, a Hoey, a Satriani, or an Yngvie got behind the effort and committed to buy a couple of hundred of these amps up front before the first CAD/CAM drawings were laid out.

Why not ask for a 25-watt combo version of a Metalhead? It'd make just about as much sense.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:39 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Jeffytune wrote:

After all the years of these questions on the Peavey forum, I guess i am a bit jaded to the whole "Edward" thing.

His red/white/black pattern is copywrited, and he has been known to sue people who copy it.

Hold on a second-I have to go find my head 'cause some one just chewed it off-JEEZ! Anyways, I am unaware if you visit Youtube much but I saw a clip of a 5150 III at the 2010 NAMM show that had the red, white and black covering on it in the FENDER booth, not the Peavey booth. Secondly. Why would you think I would go to the Peavey forums to look for the answer since it now made by FENDER. Lastly, virtually every amp company that make a stadium duty amp also makes a few smaller. lighter duty amps in the same class which would most likely be engineered at he same time. They would probably sell 6 $ 1,200 amps for every 1 $ 3,100 amp but that's just common sense talking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:26 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Location: In a house....unless I'm at work....then I'm in a shop.
oneidabow1 wrote:
Jeffytune wrote:

Hold on a second-I have to go find my head 'cause some one just chewed it off-JEEZ! Anyways, I am unaware if you visit Youtube much but I saw a clip of a 5150 III at the 2010 NAMM show that had the red, white and black covering on it in the FENDER booth, not the Peavey booth. Secondly. Why would you think I would go to the Peavey forums to look for the answer since it now made by FENDER. Lastly, virtually every amp company that make a stadium duty amp also makes a few smaller. lighter duty amps in the same class which would most likely be engineered at he same time. They would probably sell 6 $ 1,200 amps for every 1 $ 3,100 amp but that's just common sense talking.

I am sorry if I was a bit too abrupt with my overly flip answer.

Edward now has his amps made by Fender, you are quire correct, I , II or III, they all sound pretty much the same (Assuming you add a trim pot to properly set the tube bias).
So Peavey made the 5150 combo for many years and they can be found on e-bay and in the used market.
If you want a new one, they are still being made under the "6505" and they run 1199.00 new.

So why would Fender go and tool up to make yet another 3,100.00 dollar amp when you could by 3 Peavey amps for that muck that sound the same?

BTW, Peavey made those red/white and black guitars and amps for Edward, but they could not make them for sale to the public.

At first all you want are Hearts and Diamonds.

But in the end, all you really want is a Club and a Spade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:25 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Jeffytune wrote:
oneidabow1 wrote:
Jeffytune wrote:

I am sorry if I was a bit too abrupt with my overly flip answer.

Edward now has his amps made by Fender, you are quire correct, I , II or III, they all sound pretty much the same (Assuming you add a trim pot to properly set the tube bias).
So Peavey made the 5150 combo for many years and they can be found on e-bay and in the used market.
If you want a new one, they are still being made under the "6505" and they run 1199.00 new.

So why would Fender go and tool up to make yet another 3,100.00 dollar amp when you could by 3 Peavey amps for that muck that sound the same?

BTW, Peavey made those red/white and black guitars and amps for Edward, but they could not make them for sale to the public.
Hey, I didn't mean to start a ruckus here. I was just saying that since Fender now makes the current version of the amp for Ed, that a small version with 1 or 2 speakers would go over pretty well especially if it had the Franky colors on it. I'm assuming that most of the current specs are similar to the Peavey models but I'm probably wrong. If Fender did in fact start from scratch, then designing a smaller version would have been easy. It would be like Ford designing a new truck-they design the changes between a 6 ft bed and a 8 ft bed or the V6 gas and the V8 diesel at the same time. Now I'm done beating this topic to death,Thanks.