It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Champion 110
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:00 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I just bought a 1992 champion 110 from a guy who had it stacked in the back of his restaurant untouched and unused for years. I asked him he would be interested in selling it. With a little hesitation agreed. He told me he had a lot of great memories with that amp but hadn't used it in at least 5 or 6 years and would sell it to me $25 because the input jack didn't work. With in a second I plopped the money down and I was out the door. He was right the input jack was jacked so I took it apart and fixed. It was a quick 15 minute job. The best $25 and 15mins I ever spent. This amp sounds amazing. The cleans are great for my style and the level of distortion was far beyond anything I could have expected and for 25watts this thing insanely load.

Anyway I think this amp is still in diamond in the rough. Even though I like the sound of this amp I think I'm hearing what might be a slight tear or problem with the magnet. The original fender 10' speaker is still in it.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what this amp might like as far a upgraded speaker goes? Anything that might make this thing shine even brighter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:04 pm 
Roadie
Roadie

It was my first amp, and I still have it. The cleans are great for SS. I am, however, having probs with the reverb (which is small spring), howling. I have not been able to resolve. I think it is a mid-90's. The stock speaker holds it back. I put in an Eminence Copperhead. It is very improved. Richer, fuller, louder, more nuance. You can listen here (the Rajin Cajun gets much respect too):

http://www.eminence.com/soundclips.asp