It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Fender 75 Amp
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:29 pm 
Roadie
Roadie

I have an opportunity to buy a Fender 75 amp that is in good original condition except for a replacement speaker. Has anyone had any experience with one of these. I know they were only made from around 1980-82. If I remember correctly they had a selector for 75/25 watts. I'm not sure what kind of tone to expect from it. Arjay I would guess you may have looked under the hood of one of these at some time. I can buy it for $350. Thanks as always. This one is the 12" speaker version.

Post subject: Re: Fender 75 Amp
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:57 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

The 75 was the first of Fender's foray into the high-gain genre and under the stewardship of designer Ed Jahns, accomplished most of its intended goals. Its hand-wired chassis was built to last and populated with top-grade components throughout. Despite its blackface cosmetics, don't expect it to sound as such -- think "Mesa Boogie" (FMI's mortal competitor at the time) and play it in that manner and you won't be disappointed. Most of the 75 combo's came OEM with either a Gauss PS12 (early) or a high-efficiency Electrovoice speaker (late). For $350, it's worthy of consideration.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:07 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I owned one for about a year (the 15" model). It wasn't bad, but Arjay is correct in that it does not sound at all like a Blackface amp. It's a very interesting beast. VERY adjustable, but that can be taken as a positive or a negative. It's possible to get good sounds out of the 75, but it's also possible to get very BAD sounds out of it if not adjusted properly.

I found that I had to do a lot of fiddling and use a lot of patience to dial it in. If it has the original tubes then it almost certainly needs a retube.

The 25/75 watt switch does one thing and one thing only: changes the amount of clean headroom that the amp has. On low it crunches up earlier. On high it's like a Twin - clean forever. DO NOT expect it to modify the volume in any appreciable way. In fact, the guy I had bought mine from assumed there was something broken with regard to the high/low switch because he simply never turned it up enough to realize what it did.

In the end I sold mine. It was too heavy and just didn't sound as good as some of the other amps I owned. It was good, but not good enough for me to keep.

BUT, in you case, for $350 that's a good deal and it's a HECK of a lot of amp for that price. Let me put it this way: it sounds better, is better built, and is more versatile than a Hot Rod Deville. Oh yeah and the reverb on the 75 is EXCELLENT.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:49 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Powdered Toast Man wrote:
Let me put it this way: it sounds better, is better built, and is more versatile than a Hot Rod Deville. Oh yeah and the reverb on the 75 is EXCELLENT.

+1000

8)

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:41 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I can't get into too many tech details, but I can tell you a few things from a players perspective.

I picked up a Fender 75 about a year ago for a couple hundred bucks. It needed a little work as it had a badly torn speaker. I put an Eminence Texas Heat in it, and I'm glad I did. The reverb tank was also shot, so I ordered a new one.

Generally speaking- I don't use the Lead Level or Lead Drive knobs at all because I don't think the amp sounds that great with this feature.

For a super fat clean sound, I set Bass, Mid, and Treble all the way to 10 and pull the knobs out. I keep the gain around 6 and use the master volume for my overall level. This setting also cooperates well with some boost pedals and mild overdrive/distortion pedals. With some higher gain pedals- like a Wampler Soverign that I have, I usually have to push the Bass knob back in because it's just too much.

Anyways, it's a really versatile amp and works great with pedals. I play for a living and with a lot of different groups, it's been my go to amp on just about every gig. I'd pick up another if I ran into one.

I had a Mesa Boogie Mark IIB a few years ago, which I regret getting rid of, and when dialed correctly- the clean on this amp reminds me a lot of that.

I know there's a foot pedal that you can plug in the back, but I haven't exactly figured that out as I've tried a couple different pedals, and a few different cables, and can't seem to get a consistent result.

I'd be interested to hear how you've set yours and what you're able to get out of it.