PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:11 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Today's Jam Amp the 1959 Pro 5E5A,
I have this and a Deluxe Reverb A/B/Y
together. Sessions dinner party.

One of my favorite tweed amps the Pro,
big sound in a small package.
This is serial 3620 out of 3700. IJ build.

This is what the amp looked like when I bought it,
I blew the dust out with a compressor in the garage shop.

I'm using a RCA 3Mica 5751 in both V1 & V2, a Mullard 12AX7 in V3, the 2 Tung Sol 5881 and a dual getter 5U4GB.

The amps original tubes had a 12AX7 in V1, instead of the 12AY7. The V3 Tung 12AX7 is dated 60/0? that makes me think the amp sat at Fender for a while before they tube'ed it and shipped it. For a late 1959 amp they used the 4th week of 1957 Filter Caps in this amp.

Post subject: Re: Today's Jam Amp the 1959 Pro 5E5A
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:17 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Authentic right down to the LAFD safety inspection sticker on the speaker.

Solid!

8)

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:44 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

That is gorgeous. It's honestly hard to believe that it is 1959.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:58 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks for the complements Gents,

This was a fun jam tonight. Turns out the Deluxe Reverb was
only used for 1 song, the Pro was the star of the night.

I put a 12AY7A in V1 to drop the gain a bit and the 5751 in V2 & V3. I really enjoy the 5E3 and play it often, but the tweed Pro is a really incredible amp. For those of you that don't know, the Pro, Bandmaster and the Super are all in the same family, they share the same chassis and circuit. So the production numbers on these amps vary as when the girls built these amps they grabbed a chassis, pre-wired circuitboard and the Transformers for each amp. All 3 amps used a different output transformer but the PT & chokes are all the same. So my serial number is 3620 and a Bandmaster or Super could be serial 3621 or 3619.

I got lucky finding this amp from the original owner.
The other 2 Pro amps I had were beat, bar-slaves. The amps sound just as good cosmetically beat or with a clean tweed tan.

I noticed the s/n in the above pic and there is no dirt packed in the etched serial. It was always covered.

I'm having a custom Super tweed cab made a little taller than stock to swap this chassis in, it's going to have 2 x12" Celestion Blue 15 ohm speakers for the 8 ohm load. I will post some pics if the amp is at my home for a while.

I was going to go for the 2x10, but I really like the Blue tone and the amp will move more air with the 2x12.

I know, I know, why would I want a Pro to sound like a Super?

Some close-up pics for you who may want a ref for restoration or a build.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:00 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Man, that is one great looking amp. Bet it sounds super sweet. How you like that GE5U4GB/5AS4 rectifier? I really like those.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:08 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

That is one sweet amp. Not to be picky, but it looks like one of your input jacks needs attention, as it isn't making contact.

Por favor, disculpe mi español, no se llega a la práctica con mucha frecuencia.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:45 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

BMW2002Ti wrote:
Man, that is one great looking amp. Bet it sounds super sweet. How you like that GE5U4GB/5AS4 rectifier? I really like those.

Thanks for the note,

First off, these pics were taken from the old couples home that sold me the amp, this is why the amp is not tuned-up.

First I cleaned the entire amp free from dust, compressed air and china bristle brushes. Remove the speaker and take out that huge dust-dam at the bottom of the front/cone, and brushed both sides of the cone, more air. I take a damp 12" x 12" damp towel with a long and short new paint stir stick to clean the dust between the front/baffle and the grille-cloth. More compressed air until it's all gone. I put the nuts/star washers back in the same exact locations. After I clean the good vintage keepers I keep them all covered except some for display. The amps I play I like to have them all clean and ready.
So much better for the pots n stuff. The white lettering is so fresh on this amp you can still see the small overspray dots if you look close.

All the wires were the way they left the factory, interesting how they bent the heater wire arched like that. When I took the top/back covers off they were stuck via the varnish.
I removed all the original tubes and put them in safe for safekeeping. I stash the tubes, ownership papers etc, in there so nothing gets lost. So much better than my older system.

When it comes to tubes I got it bad like you do, I have 4 caddy collection. I have an old USN Sylvania dual getter blackplate in the amp now, a set of old Tung Sol matched, and the pre amp was changed today to the 6072A 3M in V1, and the RCA 5751 3M in V2, and a RCA or GE 5751 3M in V3, I forgot. Anyway, it's all tubed-up and my old original tubes will stay new in the safe as they are a part of the history. You seldom see the fiberglass sleeves on the power cords but this amp has one. The old couple I bought it from said they ordered this amp from Fender.

I have an old 1960 era double sleeve of Raytheon 12AX7A tubes that look like Mullards, and in the same sleeve there is a completely different tooling plates etc. If I take some close pics will you help me ID them? They test very strong, like Sylvanias do.

The old Filter Caps all test and work OK, but I'm going to replace them soon, and install a 4007.

Notice the 6.8k phase inverter is used, and the schematic calls for a 10k? The used the 6k8 on all the larger amps from 58-> on. My 1957 5F6 and 1957 5F8 amps both have the 10k PI.

This is a great sounding circuit, in any of the 3 amps.

Just an old guy mak'in 8-tracks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:53 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

That's a real beauty!