It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: '65 Princeton Reissue vs Original
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:36 am 
Amateur
Amateur

Anyone want to comment on the accuracy of build of the current '65 Princeton Reissue compared to the originals? How do the inner components differ from the original? Were the original amps hand wired, point to point? Anyone got images of the amp guts of both the reissue and original?

Post subject: Re: '65 Princeton Reissue vs Original
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:35 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Here's an original (non-reverb) 1965 Princeton:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-wlIz ... G_3620.JPG

Can't find a photo of the reissue chassis, but it is PCB with modern components. Looks nothing like the original on the inside.

Schematic and chassis layout of original:

http://ampwares.com/schematics/princeto ... aa1164.pdf

Schematic and chassis layout of Reissue:

http://support.fender.com/schematics/gu ... ematic.pdf

That should answer all of your questions.

Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, BB King: The Ultimate Guitar Trio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:48 am 
Amateur
Amateur

Thanks for the links.

I found a photo of the reissue guts in another post, useful for comparison:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=66380&p=792907&hilit=Princeton#p792907

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:33 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Yup.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:17 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

Also, I've read that some people complain about the built quality of the cabinet versus the original (on Princeton / Deluxe reverb etc). How do they differ? Are the original vintage cabinets solid wood with high quality joints as opposed to plywood on the reissues?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:25 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

The cabinets used with all original Fender amps up until the 1971 model year were constructed using solid pine planks assembled with finger-joined corner joints. The re-issues are fabricated using plywood and rabbet joints. In my 45-year association with Fender amps, I've never experienced an issue with a vintage cabinet.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:42 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

Thanks Arjay for the info.

How were they built after 1971?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:24 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Post-1970 enclosures were built with multiple pine boards pieced together by butt-joining numerous sections at the edges then rabbet-joining the planks at the corners. The baffle board arrangement was re-designed concurrent with these cab changes, being glued into the case via 1/2" dadoes milled into the composite planks on the sides and bottom (the interior cleats at the front were deleted altogether). The grill cloth was attached to a removable frame at the front of the glued-in baffle board, held on with strips of velcro. This baffle board and removable grill frame method remains in use on entry-level and intermediately-priced Fender amps and the cabs themselves are plywood or MDF particle-board. These enclosures do not resonate as well nor are they as durable as the vintage construction methods and they are usually heavier than a traditional pine box with screw-in baffle board.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:37 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

Thanks Arjay for the details. Very informative.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:55 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Retroverbial wrote:
These enclosures do not resonate as well

Arjay

Arjay,

Can you elaborate on this point?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:23 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

mhowell wrote:
Retroverbial wrote:
These enclosures do not resonate as well

Arjay

Arjay,

Can you elaborate on this point?

I can give you a direct example.

I have two amps sitting side by side. One is a Weber 5F6A 59 Bassman clone that I built earlier this year. The other is a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue.

The Bassman clone is built as Fender built them in 1959: Solid pine boards with finger jointed corners and the baffleboard attached with 4 screws. The BDRI, on the other hand is made of MDF with, I believe, rabbet joints. Definitely not finger jointed. The baffleboard is attached with six screws.

When played without reverb, the BDRI sounds very dead. There is little or no cabinet vibration that I would call "musical". The cabinet of the Bassman clone on the other hand, is very "alive" sounding. It sounds like a reverb is in use even when not. You can place your hand on the top of the cabinet and feel the vibrations.

Plus, the pine cabinet smells so nice. :D MDF smells like, well, it really doen't have a smell that I can detect. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:29 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

A friend and I compared the two. It was his factory original RI against my 1966 Princeton Reverb. Grandfather won hands down.

Cheers

David

"Humans think they are smarter than dolphins because we build cars and buildings and start wars etc...and all that dolphins do is swim in the water, eat fish and play around. Dolphins believe that they are smarter for exactly the same reasons."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:12 am 
Amateur
Amateur

There's a few youtube videos comparing The deluxe reverb reissue with the vintage original, but I would love to hear more side by side comparisons, clear and well recorded, as opposed to the youtube videos I found which weren't very well recorded.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:12 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

TC5A wrote:
There's a few youtube videos comparing The deluxe reverb reissue with the vintage original, but I would love to hear more side by side comparisons, clear and well recorded, as opposed to the youtube videos I found which weren't very well recorded.

Tremolo sounds differently. It's much slower and with more gravity in the original Princeton. Reverb is deeper, overall sound is warmer, more organic, more alive, transparent and detailed at the same time.

Maybe you can tune a stock PRRI to sound more like the original, but I doubt it.

Cheers

David

"Humans think they are smarter than dolphins because we build cars and buildings and start wars etc...and all that dolphins do is swim in the water, eat fish and play around. Dolphins believe that they are smarter for exactly the same reasons."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:19 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

TC5A wrote:

I have three Deluxe Reverbs -- one re-issue from '94 and two vintage originals from '68 and '79. They all sound great but the older amps have more overall grunt when pushed hard and the compressed OD is smoother throughout the frequency spectrum (a carefully-selected speaker and tube set can help the DRRI compensate for this). However, the re-issue's reverb does not have the same "splash" as the older amps.

HTH

Arjay