It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: harvard reverb amp worth 50 bux?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:37 am 
Amateur
Amateur

I am hoping to get an answer before it shows up tonite but, is a harvard reverb solid state amp with just dirty pots worth 50 bucks? Thanks in advance.

2009 epiphone es-335 dot.
2009 65 drri amp
2009 fender vibro champ-xD amp.
2009 takamine g-4400 acoustic/electric guitar

1980 fender harvard reverb 1 amp

Post subject: Re: harvard reverb amp worth 50 bux?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:40 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

For fifty bucks, I'd buy it.

If nothing else, to recondition and clean it up then flip it for $125.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:09 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

Thanx retroverbial, im waiting for it to show up still. I am hoping that it is a decent sounding amp for being solid state. I need a solid state fender amp with a reverb on it. Mostly for playing clean stuff.

2009 65 drri amp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:18 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

Well, the guy just dropped it off and, its in a bit rough shape The right hand upper corner looks like someone chewed on it *section of tolex missing too there) and , the reverb knob is missing and the treble knob is not correct one. It has pretty big speaker in it 10"perhaps? Anywhoo, i plugged it in and plugged my stratocaster to it. For the 2 minutes i tried it, The sound is wonderful ! And the amp gets loud too Then it started humming/buzzing but still was sounding nice. I messed with the cord and the knobs and found when i turned the reverb control all the way down the buzz quit (oh..before the hum/buzz, the reverb sounded really good) So, i guess im gonna keep it and, tear it down and, do the necessary repairs and see if i can find someone to re-do the covering on it. Anyone wanna see a pic of it? lol..but, it's a keeper to me anyway.

2009 65 drri amp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:23 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

It shouldn't take more than one half of a running yard of Tolex to recover the cab. How's the grill cloth......serviceable?

I'm pretty sure those amps still used discrete components (no op-amps) so diagnosing and repairing the reverb issue shouldn't pose any monumental task.

Yeah, go ahead and toss a pic up -- let's take a look at the little maggot.

:lol:

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

Post subject: here is the front
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:21 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

thats my vibro champ on top of the deluxe reverb behind the harvard (and jojo sleeping on the floor now that i shut down lol)

2009 65 drri amp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:22 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

2009 65 drri amp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:23 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

2009 65 drri amp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:23 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

2009 65 drri amp

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:30 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Looks like McGruff The Crime Dog took a bite out of that Tolex.

:mrgreen:

Love the smiley face!

You may find some replacement split-shaft knobs on Ebay.

Nice score for fifty bucks.

Arjay

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:29 am 
Amateur
Amateur

Thanks Arjay. I have found that the smiley face input jack works where the one on the left does not lol. (prob why the smiley face in under the working one) And, it is all discrete component driver/output stages. (2 npn outputs..class A i believe)..Anyways, The amp is all apart now. I bought it with the intention of using it so, As for now, i am planning on cleaning it up best i can, repair all the electronic problems, get another speaker for it cos the speaker in it is a 12 inch someone jammed in with 4 screws and, the speaker has a hole you cannot see from the back, mabye use some electrical tape strips to cover up the torn spot on upper corner. Then, down the road sometime if the amp works really well, i will either give tolexing the cab a try, or have someone do it for me. Heres a pic of the component side of the head and, the reverb tank looks pretty good on the inside.

2009 65 drri amp

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:51 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Don't toss that speaker away -- it's a 12-inch alnico CTS!

Certainly not original to the amp but I'm betting it sounds a whole lot better than the OEM driver that was originally installed.

Arjay

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:15 am 
Amateur
Amateur

I am not very smart on speakers in this regard but, i noticed that the top of the grill frame was loose from the case so, i glued it and, while waiting for glue to set i looked over the speaker and, found a very small tear hole in the paper so, i ran a very small amount of glue across and inside the hole. And, decided to re-use the speaker but, mount it better than the hack job that was done to it so, thanks for your input about the speaker. I plan on cleaning that crap from the back of the paper (some kind of wax or something on it) and, cleaning up the solder posts for the wires. was thinking about just glueing the torn tolex back down on the corner and, leaving it for that relic look lol.. cannot find original style knobs on ebay or G.c. or anywhere so, i figgure i will just buy some new fender amp knobs.

2009 65 drri amp

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:03 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Sounds like a plan, Dave.

Any knob set intended for quarter-inch split-shaft pots should be adequate for the task. I've seen some on Ebay that are "pulls" from damaged Frontmans, SCXD's, etc that look like they might fit perfectly. If you're planning to re-glue the damaged Tolex, use the DAP brand contact adhesive in the red-labeled can. I Tolex cabinets regularly and that's the best stuff I've found. Do your repairs outdoors lest your lungs become overloaded with intoxicating-and-dangerous fumes.

HTH

Arjay

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:31 am 
Amateur
Amateur

Well, Shes back together. I just glued down the loose tolex and cleaned it as good as i could with warm water and dish soap and small gentle bristle brush. Then, i set the cab aside and, tackled the electrical probs with the head. I found that the 1st input jack was shorting to ground when a cable was plugged into it Was a quick repair there. Then, i cleaned all the pots and noticed the power tranny was loose so i went thru and tightend every screw on the head. Even the sink mounted driver transistors and, output transistors were pretty loose. After that, i set the head aside and cleaned up the speaker terminals and gunk off of the paper in back. Then, i set head on bench and soldered speaker wires to speaker and hooked up the reverb tank and, tested everything out. Because of the place ment of my worktable, i was not able to get to my guitars but, i had my nephews squier affinity strat laying out so, i just grabbed that for testing. Everything came out good except i was worried a bit cos i thought it should be a bit louder than what i was getting but, i assembeled the amp into the cab anyway and, retested it and for the minute or 2 i tested it, it sounded really good and i cranked it up and it got loud and, even a lot louder when i pulled the boost knob. I am waiting for wifey to wake up then i am going to really test it out with my strat. (i had her peel off the smiley sticker last nite cos i have no nails and i diddn't want to scratch up the face anymore than it is lol....sorry arjay l) The amp does not look too bad at all and, i am going to go buy some knobs at G.c. for it then, i will post a photo of what it looks like now. Thank you again arjay for the heads up on the speaker...i dunno what the hell i was thinking !! lol..

2009 65 drri amp