It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: 1975 Fender Pro Reverb vs 65 Twin Reverb Reissue
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:08 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hey everyone,

So I have a 65 Twin Reverb Reissue. Which I have to say has been a rock, no issue, no needed repairs, and I am happy with the sound. I was looking into going for a vintage piece to replace it something I guess that is not so damn loud. The twin reverb RI is alittle too loud for what I need, also is is heavy.

I posted it on craigslist and I got an offer today to trade it for a 1975 Pro Reverb (which was recently recapped <not sure if it was recapped to blackface specs> )

I am looking for something not so loud and not so heavy, but was not sure if the 1975 Pro Reverb is a good trade.

I know first off the Pro Reverb is PTP so repairs would be easier (if needed), lower wattage so it would break up earlier (actually I have never gotten the twin RI to breakup even at unnecessarily loud levels) and it is lighter.

The Pro reverb is an amp I don't know much about. I know that the master volume is worthless......

Is a 1975 Silverface Pro Reverb a good amp?
Would you trade a perfectly good working reliable Twin Reverb Reissue for it?

Let me know.......

Post subject: Re: 1975 Fender Pro Reverb vs 65 Twin Reverb Reissue
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:03 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

You better be damn sure of what you're looking at. If that "Pro Reverb" is one of the late '70s ultra-linear types then it will sound nothing like the original AA165 circuit. These 70-watt CBS-era behemoths can easily be identified by the middle tone control added to the "normal" channel (a la Twin Reverb) and the lack of a tube rectifier for the power supply. The earlier 5U4GB-rectified 45-watt silverfaces aren't too bad but they feature all of the tone-thieving mods in the output stage that characterized (stereotypically so) the entire silverface era.

Caveat Emptor!

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:09 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I have confirmed it is the 1975 Pro Reverb. I went and checked it out, and it is 45 watts, Has a tube rectifier and there are no mid controls on either channel.

The speakers were changed to Eminence Legends, and springs were changed in the reverb tank.

It is in fantastic condition for the age.

Is this a fair trade for a Twin Reverb Reissue?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:55 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Probably. TRRI's are a dime a dozen on Ebay and C/L, sometimes as low as $650. A '75 Pro Reverb in reasonable electrical and cosmetic condition should command upwards of $800. If you need a quieter amp you could prolly do a whole lot worse.

HTH

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:01 am 
Amateur
Amateur

Pre-Master Volume Pro Reverbs are hard to beat-Definitely get it "Blackfaced"-versatile with good headroom and loud-45 watts is plenty of volume for most places. OTOH It is not the amp to get if you want something lighter to carry.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:44 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

bobbya wrote:
OTOH It is not the amp to get if you want something lighter to carry.

Correct. It will still weigh nearly sixty pounds even with a pair of low-brow ceramic speakers.

Arjay

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:22 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

S.F pro reverbs sound great, I love mine. But they are still heavy. Good luck on your choice.

65 Princeton reverb re-issue
2010 Guild Gad-F40e

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:32 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Everytime I carry my BFPR I think it's too heavy for this old man,but turn it on and plug in and hotdayum!....sure sounds great. :D
I can always find somebody younger to carry it...makes 'em feel special. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:43 am 
Amateur
Amateur

I got wheels on mine and figure I can call it exercise by toting it. I think about launching it on occasion-it's been very worked over and is not entirely original, but it is just right for most occasions and sounds good at low volume unlike a lot of amps.