It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Fender Bandmaster Reverb
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:51 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Hi all

I'm trying to figure out the value of what I have my hands on. It's a FBMR. Silver faced with blue labeling. It has a master volume control. It's output on the back is listed as 190 Watts (2 amp fuse). 4 Ohm. 2 6L6 power tubes and a combination (6) of 12AX7, 12AT7a and 7025. Looks like it came from the old CBS days of Fender.

My little bro was the keyboardist in a semi-famous band in the last 70s and 80s and owned the amp then. I've hooked it up as a secondary guitar amp and powering an old Leslie Model 16 for some special effect stuff. Sounds UN-believable. Think Pink Floyd - "Breathe".

I can't find ANY literature on this amp on the net and most BMR referred to in posts suggest a 40 watt output. Can any of you guys tell me what I've got? Where to get a serial number? Literature?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Fender Bandmaster Reverb
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:07 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

You'll find the serial number stamped on the right-hand side of the chassis at the rear. Compare with the data provided here......

B+5---digits - 1975-1976
A6+5-digits - 1976
A7+5-digits - 1977
A8+5-digits - 1978
A9+5-digits - 1979
F0+5--digits - 1980
F1+5--digits - 1981
F2+5-digits - 1982/83
F3+5-digits - 1983/84
F4+5-digits - 1984/85
F9+5-digits - 1979-1980

The original Bandmaster Reverb was based on the 40-watt Super Reverb chassis and was first cataloged in late '68. I'm guessing yours is one of the later ultra-linear 70-watt platforms that used a solid-state diode stack in lieu of a 5U4GB tube rectifier. These amps bear little resemblance to the original Bandmaster circuitry or the first AC768 Bandmaster Reverb models.

HTH

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:10 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks, Arjay

It's a '79.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:46 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

"My little bro was the keyboardist in a semi-famous band in the last 70s and 80s and owned the amp then."

So what band was it?

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:34 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Arjay

The band was called 37 Targetz. They mostly toured the college and bar scene doing covers, but became notible from their original music. They produced one album with Don Dixon called, "And It Burns" (I think it was titled "Water from the Moon" in the European market. They won a Basement Tape contest with MTV and MTV carried their music video for a number of months. They were convinced by their manager to leave the states (and some potential record contracts) to do a European tour. It ended up badly and they came home to debt and law suits. The little bro is still in the music business doing sound/light engineering for a band called the Velcro Pygmies.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:13 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I hope their manager went on to a lucrative career in the building maintenance or fast food industry.

:mrgreen:

Arjay

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:17 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I realize that this is a very old post, but I need to clear up a totally wrong statement:
"The original Bandmaster Reverb was based on the 40-watt Super Reverb chassis ...."

This is completely wrong. At least the original Silverface (there was no blackface) with drip-trim in 1968 was based on the Fender Pro, NOT the Super Reverb.

This has been commonly mis-stated that the BMR must have been a "speakerless" Super Reverb, but it has been documented by many authorities on Fender amps that it was based on the Pro.

I have worked on many early BMR's (along with hundreds of other pre 70's Fender amps) and I OWN a first 50 "early Hybrid" 1968 BMR as well as a Fender Pro. The circuits are identical ... and the reason I'll never sell my 68 BMR.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:43 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

vintageguitarz wrote:
I realize that this is a very old post, but I need to clear up a totally wrong statement:
"The original Bandmaster Reverb was based on the 40-watt Super Reverb chassis ...."

This is completely wrong. At least the original Silverface (there was no blackface) with drip-trim in 1968 was based on the Fender Pro, NOT the Super Reverb.

This has been commonly mis-stated that the BMR must have been a "speakerless" Super Reverb, but it has been documented by many authorities on Fender amps that it was based on the Pro.

I have worked on many early BMR's (along with hundreds of other pre 70's Fender amps) and I OWN a first 50 "early Hybrid" 1968 BMR as well as a Fender Pro. The circuits are identical ... and the reason I'll never sell my 68 BMR.

So how many pre-1977 Pro Reverb Amps have you seen with a middle control in the vibrato channel's tone stack?

The only component shared between a Pro Reverb and a Bandmaster Reverb is the 022848 output tranny. The rest of the BMR chassis is all Super Reverb.

Arjay

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:56 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Retroverbial wrote:
So how many pre-1977 Pro Reverb Amps have you seen with a middle control in the vibrato channel's tone stack?

The only component shared between a Pro Reverb and a Bandmaster Reverb is the 022848 output tranny. The rest of the BMR chassis is all Super Reverb.

Arjay

What are you, the expert on all things Fender??? :roll:

Oh wait, you are! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:39 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

The original circuit for the Pro Reverb was designated AA165. This became the AB668 in June of 1968 -- nearly coincident with the debut of the Bandmaster Reverb in July of 1968. The BMR’s initial circuit was the AA768. Had it been identical to the Pro Reverb’s new revision (which it clearly is NOT) it would’ve been called an AB668 as well.

The prosecution rests.

:mrgreen:

Arjay

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:45 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

" This has been commonly mis-stated that the BMR must have been a "speakerless" Super Reverb, but it has been documented by many authorities on Fender amps that it was based on the Pro. "

Can you site this statement? It seems to me there is very little difference in the circuitry amongst all three -- except for the output tranny. At least with the AA1069 circuit.

Thanks!

http://www.thevintagesound.com/ffg/sche ... _schem.gif