It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: JBL Speakers in Fender amps??
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:40 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

Many years ago - 30+ to be accurate, I remember gigging with bands whose lead ple=ayers almost all had Twin reverbs with JBL 12" speakers.

Even though your memory can play tricks on you, I cant remember a better sounding combination of components for a guitar sound.

Now I see that JBL no longer make these speakers.

I have picked up a 35 year old Twin reverb from the UK, but the speakers are missing.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what would be an accurate replacement for the original JBLs??

Post subject: Re: JBL Speakers in Fender amps??
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:43 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

caleb wrote:
Many years ago - 30+ to be accurate, I remember gigging with bands whose lead ple=ayers almost all had Twin reverbs with JBL 12" speakers.

Even though your memory can play tricks on you, I cant remember a better sounding combination of components for a guitar sound.

Now I see that JBL no longer make these speakers.

I have picked up a 35 year old Twin reverb from the UK, but the speakers are missing.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what would be an accurate replacement for the original JBLs??

EV SROs sound great! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:07 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Caleb -

There's a guy named Phantomman on The Fender Forum who has some BF & SF Twins and cabs - some with replacement JBL's. He would definitely have some answers for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:10 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

I've still got a 67 Showman cab with the JBL-D-140's in it. A monster to drag around. 8) Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:03 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

cherokee747 wrote:
I've still got a 67 Showman cab with the JBL-D-140's in it. A monster to drag around. 8) Mike

My '79 Twin Reverb has JBL D-120Fs, I'd love to hook a Showman cab with D-140s up to it as an extension!

Now Annoying In
((((((Stereo))))))

Plug that beotch in an' let her rip! >>>>> Crank it and Spank it!

Last edited by 5er driver on Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:07 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

The Weber California 12's with silver dust caps in ceramic are very close to the original JBL D-120 speakers found in some Twins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:02 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

My 79 twin has JBL's. I have a deluxe reverb II that I put an EV 12L in that is close to the JBL's and they still make them ( expensive though). The Webers are supposed to be good, but I friend of mine put Eminences in his twin and they sound really close, I'm not sure what model they are but when I see him next I'll ask.
filerj :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:22 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

Caleb, Talk about dumb luck, my buddy just called to set some things up for after Thanksgiving. The speakers he's using are Eminence Commonwealths. They are clean but with heavy magnets like the JBL's. My twin with the JBL's weighs a ton. Hope this helps, I see Cherokee and Mike replied, those 2 are pretty knowledgable about amps and such. Good luck with your search.
filerj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:50 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

The Webers, arguably are as close to the old JBLs that you can get. Before he passed, I talked to Ted and asked as I was looking for that tone - I have 2 of the ceramic 12s in my amp. Great, great tone.

Our band: http://www.facebook.com/thetoysband

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:43 am 
Amateur
Amateur

Nedorama,
They're the California 12's you're talking about right? I've heard good things about the Webers, but I personally haven't heard any at least not knowingly. I want to build a 2-12 extension cabinet for the twin and would like the JBL sound. The EV's and the Eminences I mentioned were close at least the closest I had heard, but they weren't the same.
Thanks,
filerj :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:57 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Yes - the Weber ceramic California 12's with the silver dust caps. Very close to that sound. A friend who has JBL D120's bought them and said they are as close as he can find.

I'm very happy with them. Clean, loud, and with a pedal in front of the Bandmaster it's inspiring tone.

Our band: http://www.facebook.com/thetoysband

Post subject: Fender Twin SF 1976 with JBL K-120's
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:36 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I have a Fender Twin SF 1976 model with 2 x JBL K-120's fitted 1977. These have been brilliant. All these years my guitarist had the amp since new and I bought it off him three years ago. Heavy at 91lbs but brilliant for all gendres, I run the Twin with tone at 5 for bass treble and mids, use the Line 6 XT Pod live for all modelling and then change tone only slightly to suit rooms I am playing in. The Line 6 XT Pod Live is just brilliant for complete sound (ps I use if for my Gibson Songwriter and Precision Bass as well). Back to the Twin I found there has been no fatigue in the speakers. (ps It was laid down flat under the lead guitarist's bed for fifteen years) I rotate the speakers every year but the JBL is such a quality speaker at 100watts RMS per speaker they never breakdown. Understanding when you want a natural overdrive, it is possible with the K-120 as they are warm (heavy magnet seems to make it so and Kapton coil hence K) I find I am never close enough to amp to change master and channel volumes for natural overdrive so I use modelling through Line 6 XT Pod live no problem.

If you ever find some K-120's (Out of production now) grab them, recone or coil and welcome to years of quality sound!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:33 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I have a 72 Fender Twin with the JBL Speakers in it . I love it . In fact I love it so much that I retired it to my rehearsal room cause I don't want anything to happen to it,.. I only take it out on special gigs . I Use the LINE 6 Pod XT to get what I need done now .
This amp has been with me like a family member thru about 10 bands now . So its earned its keep and deserves to be enjoyed by me only .
MY wife bought me a New Twin for my anniversary cause she knows how mmuch I love the Fender Sound . The Emmenance speakers it came with are Bright and Punchy ,but I get the warmth I want from my 72 all day long.
I can remember being on stage one time in a big room with my Twin . There was a Marshall stack and an Ampeg bass cab on both sides of my Twin and how great it sounded . It still cut right thru all that VOLUME .
Greatest amps out there and always will be I say

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:24 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I had a similar situation with a late 60s Bassman cab. In fact, it was a labeled D-140 cab. I went on Ebay, Craigslist etc., and eventually found 2 correct JBLs and had them rebuilt by Great Plains Audio and the cab sounds great. If you are a purist like me, you may give this approach a try. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:41 am 
Amateur
Amateur

5erdiver,
That's a gorgious looking 79. I never thought I'd see another one that looked as good as mine. When I had the amp recapped last year the tech said it looked as if it was brought up to the present in a time machine it looked that good. Yours if every bit as nice. Keep it running, they're fantastic amps.
filerj