It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:53 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: New Pawn Shop Mustang Bass
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:38 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

That is one sharp looking bass. Really like the stripes on the white. I was looking to do a graphic like that on my black Squier Musicmaster but then my son did the pickguard for me.

No cash for such a toy but would sure like one. Closest I'd probably get is the Squier Mustang, and I like that Maple neck even better.

Does anyone use that finger rest that's below the strings? never understood how you were supposed to rest your hand on that.

Post subject: Re: New Pawn Shop Mustang Bass
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:29 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

It really isn't a finger rest so much as a "TUG BAR."

The idea was that you put one or two fingers there so your thumb has more leverage and control. Leo envisioned all electric bass players playing with their thumb exclusively, so he put the tug bar on the "G" string side.

If you do play with your thumb the tug bar in this original position is a huge help. Most players wound up playing multi-fingerstyle, hook style or with a pick. So CBS moved the tug bar to the "E" string side where it functions as a thumbrest and eventually discontinued it.

Tugbars, thumbrests and chrome bridge/pickup covers have all been undergoing a revival over the past five years thanks to the Custom Shop and the American Vintage Reissues.

The only difference between a thumbrest and a tug bar is the location. The part number is the same. The tug bar on the first generation P-Bass was different though as it was made out of wood instead of plastic with only one mounting hole in the center. When the screw got loose it would spin around and around and be pretty much useless.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:48 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Ok, tugbar vs thumbrest now makes sense.

Funny you mention how it's changed over the years. My original pickguard on my '78 Musicmaster had the holes above the E string, and my '97 Musicmaster there are no holes for the thing. Thanx for the info.

One screw? Who didn't think of that design flaw from the get-go?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:31 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

The more I think about this one the more I wish it had the standard split Mustang Pickups. I never cared much for the Seth Lover pickup tone on a Telecaster Bass and don't think putting it on a Mustang will improve it. I personally like brighter tones.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:50 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I guess I've only had the chance to play a Mustang one time and it did have the split pickups, but it was a GC store and through a crummy little amp so who knows what it really sounded like. My ideal tends to be more toward the low end, more rumble and less funky if that makes sense.

I am over an hour and 1/2 from the nearest "big" music store now so no opportunities really to try new gear out. I'm happy with what I get out of my passive Musicmaster basses, both have similar single coil large magnet pickups. I liked the tone so much out of the Squier's "Vista Tone" pickup that I bought a similar Seymour Duncan one for the Fender Musicmaster. Now they're very similar and makes changing out during gigs very easy.

I love the feel of my SX short scale jazz but the pickups are pretty lousy on that, very low gains.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:40 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Don't know if this will help the split pickup conversation, but my 68 & 69 Mustang sound very nice. Actually playing the 69 tomorrow at a gig. The Bullet bass followed that and also sounds very nice. Are they a Jazz or Precision? No. But I seriously think they sound better than many passive basses made today.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:00 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Affprod, those are pretty awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:03 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I've just bought a new Mustang Pawn Shop bass after playing a Gibson SG for quite a while now.
I prefer short scale basses now, as a recent illness resulting in weight loss made long scale/heavy basses uncomfortable.
The Mustang has now become my "weapon of choice" so to speak, I think it has a much sweeter tone than the SG, and doesn't suffer from that dreadful "neck dive"!!
One thing though, I just couldn't live with that pearloid pick guard, so I bought a blank off eBay and cut a new one in tortoiseshell; much better I think.
Great bass..............love it!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69592184@N ... hotostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69592184@N ... otostream/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:45 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

A big advantage on the Pawnshop Mustang Bass is the inclusion of a wide range humbucker for the huge fat punch the split-coils lack off.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:44 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

theonemanband wrote:
I've just bought a new Mustang Pawn Shop bass after playing a Gibson SG for quite a while now.
I prefer short scale basses now, as a recent illness resulting in weight loss made long scale/heavy basses uncomfortable.
The Mustang has now become my "weapon of choice" so to speak, I think it has a much sweeter tone than the SG, and doesn't suffer from that dreadful "neck dive"!!
One thing though, I just couldn't live with that pearloid pick guard, so I bought a blank off eBay and cut a new one in tortoiseshell; much better I think.
Great bass..............love it!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69592184@N ... hotostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69592184@N ... otostream/

WOW you could go into custom pickguard work and make a fortune! Nice job! Hard work though isn't it?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:49 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

chromeface wrote:
A big advantage on the Pawnshop Mustang Bass is the inclusion of a wide range humbucker for the huge fat punch the split-coils lack off.

That actually is a matter of taste. What is an advantage for you might not be for me. If you ever look at the back of one of these pickups, it looks a lot like the Mustang pickup pair with the covers removed attached to a rectangular chrome cover.

I prefer single coils myself, next I'll take the split coils and the Seth Lover design is third. That is for passive instruments. Some people call the chrome covered humbucker a "mudbucker." I don't think that is entirely fair, but some do.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:02 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

WI KISSfan wrote:
...One screw? Who didn't think of that design flaw from the get-go?

One screw is half as expensive as two screws and takes half as long to install. Guess Mr. F figured it was worth a shot. The 2 screw design is much more stable.

Notice the one screw in the center of the tugbar in the patent drawing:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:03 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

brotherdave wrote:
WOW you could go into custom pickguard work and make a fortune! Nice job! Hard work though isn't it?

Thank you. Not "hard work" exactly, but time consuming and worth the effort if you get the desired result!! :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:28 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

It's possible to install a 2-screw thumbrest into a pre-57 Precision?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:05 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

chromeface wrote:
It's possible to install a 2-screw thumbrest into a pre-57 Precision?

Simple job. I see you are in Athens, but here's link to a guy on eBay UK who makes custom thumb rests from exotic woods (Rosewood, Ebony etc)., and comes complete with fixing screws; he also posts worldwide!! As you will see, he does normal or "low profile" versions. I recently fitted a low profile, Rosewood one to my Gibson SG bass, looks great and does the job!
I can thoroughly recommend him, hassle free fast delivery and fitting is easy.
Mark and drill two pilot holes where you want the thumb rest, making absolutely sure NOT to drill too deep (putting tape on the drill bit at the correct depth will prevent this)...... just take your time and proceed with care and I'm sure you'll get an excellent result......Good Luck!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0949707451

Hope this helps