It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Standard Fender Jazz Bass pickup wiring diagrams different?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:13 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I've been a Fender player for years but haven't logged into the Fender forums? I must be bat crazy. I'm new so please forgive any unintentional violations of the policies. Fender rocks! Anyways, to my question:

So I was looking at the wiring diagrams on the Fender website concerning Standard MIM Fender Jazz Basses ( bless Fender) and saw two diagrams that seems oddly similar. One was a regular diagram and the other was an "upgraded" Version. What are the differences in those?

Regular Jazz Bass diagram: http://support.fender.com/service_diagr ... B_SISD.pdf

"upgraded" JAzz Bass diagram: http://support.fender.com/service_diagr ... A_SISD.pdf

Cheers!

Post subject: Re: Standard Fender Jazz Bass pickup wiring diagrams differe
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:28 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Same thing , I can't see no difference except some wire's color

Post subject: Re: Standard Fender Jazz Bass pickup wiring diagrams differe
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:03 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

The "UPGRADE" was because of things other than the wiring. For example, the earlier one used Asian made pickups from South Korea made by Cor-Tek/Cort. The Upgrade model used pickups made by Fender at Ensenada after they started making their own pickups. Only some part numbers and parts sources changed. The Upgrade uses push on knobs that look like the USA Jazz knobs instead of the Strat speed-type push on knobs. Whether or not it was a true upgrade I don't know for sure, but it did have different parts.

Jack Westheimer, without doubt the greatest name in Asian made guitars making inroads to the USA in the 1960's, is the grandpappy of Cort. He is the source of many of the most famous Japanese guitars ever imported to the USA including brands like CORTEZ which was the source for the original Cor-Tek name.

Jack Westheimer to me is the George Fullerton of Asian made electric guitar history and one of my personal guitar heroes right up there with Leo and George. Other brands Westheimer brought to the USA included Teisco (he had design input on the classic Del Rey), Pearl, Kingston, Lotus and eventually CORT. He was also the man who set up Silvertone's switch from Danelectro to Japanese made by Teisco guitars for Sears.

Westheimer realized before about anyone else that Japanese manufacturing would soon become prohibitively expensive and sought to move his manufacturing into another emerging market with lower labor overhead. In 1973 he partnered with Young H. Park to found the Yoo-Ah Company in South Korea. Yoo-Ah changed names in short order to Cor-Tek before they even opened operations. Once Cor-Tek launched their own Cort brand Cor-Tek has been known primarily as Cort, but so far as I know the official name for the company is still Cor-Tek. Cor-Tek/Cort has not only made parts under contract for FMIC but has also made finished guitars under contract to FMIC that were branded Squier. They are some really good ones too.

Cor-Tek is so big that it was at one time making finished instruments simultaneously for Fender/Squier, Epiphone, Ibanez and parts for Fender and Gibson. It is one of the world's largest guitar makers in terms of output dwarfing the combined output of all of Fender Japan's contractors combined. Cort brand basses today are very well regarded. And it all can be traced back to Jack Westheimer looking for a way to keep building good quality guitars on the cheap in the early 1970's. Young H. Park bought out Westheimer's interest years ago.

For a while Gary Sinise (Lt. Dan Band) endorsed Cort basses and they still have him listed as endorser on the Cort site, but I know that for at least the past year he has been gigging a Fender active Jazz and a Fender vintage P-Bass. Fender really needs to get him on-board as an endorser if he can get out from under the Cort thing. He obviously had rather play a Fender. Before the Cort endorsement he gigged a Line 6 Variax making him the only person I ever saw playing one in a gig situation.

He's on tour now and if you get a chance, go see the Lt. Dan Band. They are really good and ticket prices are cheap because it is always a benefit for the Lt. Dan Charity thing. I want to go see them again when they come to Charleston next month. They are also playing Fayetteville NC which is closer but Charleston holds more charm as a destination to me.