It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Why do most Rock bands use the Fender P bass?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:59 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I noticed most of my favorite or most music bands use the Fender P bass over the Jazz bass.. In your opinion... do you see more bass players playing the Fender Jazz bass in the near future?
I mean.. the Fender P bass is very iconic because it's the original electric bass. The sound of the Fender P bass is very simple and lacks the powerful growl. Now.. the Fender Jazz bass has the same tone as the P bass, but it has more mid and punch.. I still don't understand why most rock bands don't use the Fender Jazz bass.. If I was a famous bass player in a famous rock band.. I would use the Fender Jazz bass.. and thats the bass I own right now. I really enjoy the versatility of the Fender Jazz bass.. It's easy to play with a slim neck, light weight, growl, a punching sound and the modern look. The only thing that the Fender Jazz bass lacks is the powerful bass tone Lastly, I want the Fender P bass.. because most bass players in rock bands use it.. I still can't get over the mistake I made in getting the Jazz over the P. My only reason is because " most rock bands use it.. and it's making me feel very jealous and.. all the above :P " Well.. it's my first ever Fender Bass... So.. I guess I can learn from experience?

Post subject: Re: Why do most Rock bands use the Fender P bass?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:15 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

musicisfender wrote:
The sound of the Fender P bass is very simple and lacks the powerful growl.

"lacks the powerful growl"

:?: :!: :?: :!: :?:

Does the name "John Entwistle" ring any bells?

:roll:

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:22 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I personaly think that jazz basses sound like crap. :wink:

"The one with more guitars wins"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:42 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Ok my take on the J vs P thing.

A lot of it is personal preference.

The P is somewhat tonally LESS versatile. However it is almost always QUIETER. Hum is the bane of single coil passive pickups such as those used on the J. The humbucking design of the P eliminates most radio frequency interference.

It is not an accurate statement to say that the same P design being used now is the FIRST Fender bass, it isn't. The first P-Bass in 1951 through 1956 and the P of 1957 through today are two very different things.

The Jazz does have a brighter tone and should be favored by anyone playing in a smaller band because they have more holes to musically fill or for anyone wanting a more up front tone.

The P-Bass records well and is preferred by many recording bassists and recording engineers as well.

Many rockers play with a pick and the P is more of a pick player's bass.

They both have advantages. Many prefer the J neck profile.

I think having both, and if fact a variety of basses, is a good idea. There is nothing wrong with owning more than one.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:10 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

This topic was also discussed in your first post titled " Should I trade my American Jazz bass for a P Bass" My opinion is that you should get a P Bass as a 2nd bass (even a Squier P bass if you're tight for cash) or get your self a Jazz bass or P bass with a PJ set up.
I've also been meaning to ask you how old you are & what bands are you listening too?

If you're listening to newer bands like The Foo Fighters, Green Day, My Chemical Romance......... etc. Then yes the bassists in those bands are using P Basses......

If you're listening to older classic rock type bands then you'll notice that the bass players in these bands use a variety of basses from the P bass & J bass to The Thunderbird bass, Rickenbacker 4001 & 4003 basses, Music man Stingray bass, Ibanez basses, Lackland basses, Warmouth basses ...etc............Just my opinion. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:32 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

James Coderre wrote:
If you're listening to older classic rock type bands then you'll notice that the bass players in these bands use a variety of basses from the P bass & J bass to The Thunderbird bass, Rickenbacker 4001 & 4003 basses, Music man Stingray bass, Ibanez basses, Lackland basses, Warmouth basses ...etc............Just my opinion. :)

Don't forget the Gibson EB-0/EB-3.

One listen to "Live Cream - Volume II" should be enough to convince anyone.

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:49 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Of course how could I forget the Gibson EB-0/EB3 or the Gibson SG bass or some of the cool Spector basses that came out of the 1970's..........each one of these basses & the guys who played them ...Love 'em or hate 'em had charactor & individuality..

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:22 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

do forget some of the more wackt ones too. the hofner violyn for example.

"The one with more guitars wins"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:44 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Of Course Paul McCartney & the Hofner bass...thats my point.... all theses basses & all the charactor guys that played them.........& since we're digging into the archives how about early Kiss Gene Simmons playing the Gibson Grabber Bass circa 1975.....LOL :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:43 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I think a P and a J both have great sound. They both have lots of power and bass and both have lots of treble. With that you can adjust an amp for whatever sound you want. I would use my P bass alot because alot of Clubs have neon lights and shakey wiring that would make the Jazz humm, The P bass didn't hum. Okay you can put both pickups on full on the J but I don't roll like that, personally. In the studio you just never know what bass the guy used- ya' know? It could have been a J bass and he plays the P live. Right? Or vice versa. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:52 pm 
Roadie
Roadie

As Brother Dave says, the P-Bass has a great tone. The J-Bass has a better neck contour. It all depends on what you want and want fits your playing style.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:16 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

P Basses rule for rock and blues. They provide a solid bottom that sounds perfect in the mix.

Jazz basses have a brighter tone and I would agree that they even have more versatility but it's like comparing a jack-of-all-trades versus a master-of-one.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:52 pm 
Amateur
Amateur

I've tried multiple times to get into the P-bass scene, and I just don't like playing them. Many friends play them exclusively, and they make them sound great. I just can't get into it. I don't get the tones I want, the necks feel weird, etc. Since I got my Bullet a few months ago the Jazz has been hibernating in its case, but I still consider it my number one.

1983 USA Fender Bullet Bass Deluxe (Ivory)
2004 USA Fender Highway 1 Jazz Bass (Honey Blonde)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:42 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Today I soved my problem with regard to hauling around 2 basses ( a P-bass & a Jazz bass) I ordered a Fender Reggie Hamiton Standard Jazz Bass MIM....I tried one not to long ago & was impressed.......I ordered the 3tone sunburst model with a P/J setup (Custom noiseless jazz pick up & an American Standard split coil with Alnico V magnets... pick up)

it can be played in active or passive mode & has a 3 band EQ (similar knob set up to the current AM DLX .... active /passive toggle,..master volume, pick up pan, bass boost/cut, treble boost /cut, Mid boost/cut but no passive tone knob), it has a maple neck with rosewood fret board & Fender stamped tuners with a Hipshot D-tuner on the E string & Deluxe gig bag

It's the workingman's all in one bass....It's also a bass that you don't hear about much on the Fender Lounge ( but one that bassists rave about on the Talk Bass forums).........I was also concidering a new American Deluxe P-Bass with the P/J set up but for a $1000.00 taxes in you can't go wrong with the Reggie Hamilton Jazz bass .. it's a lot of bang for your buck. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:57 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I dunno, my obervation is that I seem to see more J Basses than P Basses. I've heard it said that the J Bass has a better live sound and P Bass has a better recorded sound. I have always loved the J Bass sound, although in my own playing I generally keep the highs rolled off. I feel confident that I would be happy with either type. It's just that I took a liking to Jazz Basses early on.