It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:52 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Re: Bass Bridge Replacement : Why ?
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:22 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I can agree with some of what you guys have said, well until a little over a year ago when I came upon the best after market bridge. The KSM foundation bass bridge is by far the best I've tried, and I have gone through just about all of them, the badass, babicz, hipshot. None of these can hold a candle to the increased sustain, string response and over all better tone I got when I switched over to it. It's hard to explain how it effects the sound and feel, it just makes the bass alive in your hands. You can feel every note! Since the whole thing locks down, and becomes one solid piece, you never have to worry about the saddles shifting on intonation or action. I transferred all my basses over to it. The cost was worth it. I can't say the same for any other bridges I've tried. The KSM gave me the sound and feel I've always wanted. Yes, each bass is different, but this bridge brings out the true characteristics of the instrument, which is awesome! And it was about a 12 minute process to replace the stock bridge on my Matt Freeman P bass with the Foundation bridge. I'd say check it out. You don't know what you're missing out on until you play on this bridge.
There are bunch of videos on youtube on it, and I've even posted a couple with the basses I'm building.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:11 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Malyse Intende wrote:
I can agree with some of what you guys have said, well until a little over a year ago when I came upon the best after market bridge. The KSM foundation bass bridge is by far the best I've tried, and I have gone through just about all of them, the badass, babicz, hipshot. None of these can hold a candle to the increased sustain, string response and over all better tone I got when I switched over to it. It's hard to explain how it effects the sound and feel, it just makes the bass alive in your hands. You can feel every note! Since the whole thing locks down, and becomes one solid piece, you never have to worry about the saddles shifting on intonation or action. I transferred all my basses over to it. The cost was worth it. I can't say the same for any other bridges I've tried. The KSM gave me the sound and feel I've always wanted. Yes, each bass is different, but this bridge brings out the true characteristics of the instrument, which is awesome! And it was about a 12 minute process to replace the stock bridge on my Matt Freeman P bass with the Foundation bridge. I'd say check it out. You don't know what you're missing out on until you play on this bridge.
There are bunch of videos on youtube on it, and I've even posted a couple with the basses I'm building.
$@!&! i wish these were like $50 less and came in chrome . . .

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:57 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

If you play slap bass style..I highly recommend the Leo BAII bridge. Try to get the pre-slotted version.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:10 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Dalembic wrote:
If you play slap bass style..I highly recommend the Leo BAII bridge. Try to get the pre-slotted version.

what is the deal with slotting on those? i see a lot of them used, some have it for certain strings, others dont . . .

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:03 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I am bewildered at the majority of posts here that seem to assume that different versions of the Leo Quan BA are the only possibilities that exist for replacing a Fender bridge. A few people have mentioned others like Babicz, Gotoh, and KSM (I hadn't heard of KSM, so I'm glad that was posted), but the majority either don't consider them worthy of discussion or are unaware of their existence.

I have used Schallers and Hipshots, and I have been happy with the results. I'm planning on using a Babicz and a newer Gotoh J510SJ-5 in the near future. Maybe I'll try the KSM eventually as well.

Why? Looks, sustain, and I like having the feel of something solid. And I don't like BA bridges.

If you are concerned with having a bridge that fits under a bridge cover, then you obviously aren't concerned with how a bridge looks. And if you're satisfied with the sustain provided by the original design of a Fender bridge, then there really isn't a reason for you to change bridges.

Personally, I don't like bridge or pickup covers, so they're the first things to come off, which means the appearance of the bridge is a little more important. But that's just me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:05 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

I stay away from the new options in guitar parts, mainly because things just keep getting cheaper in build quality these days...and many of these companies have the nerve to charge more for the lesser product. The BAII is solid chrome..no cheapo plating. What are the other aftermarket bridges made of?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:07 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Dalembic wrote:
What are the other aftermarket bridges made of?

Better designs.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:47 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

krleese wrote:

I have used Schallers and Hipshots, and I have been happy with the results. I'm planning on using a Babicz and a newer Gotoh J510SJ-5 in the near future. Maybe I'll try the KSM eventually as well.

Why? Looks, sustain, and I like having the feel of something solid. And I don't like BA bridges.

I'm about to replace the stock bridge on my Jazz bass because the bridge has a fixed string spacing and to me is a bit on the wide side (21mm)

What's your experience with the Schallers and Hipshots? I'm considering the hopshot vintage style. Your comment is much appreciated. Cheers.
M.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:42 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Mui Vintage wrote:
krleese wrote:

I'm about to replace the stock bridge on my Jazz bass because the bridge has a fixed string spacing and to me is a bit on the wide side (21mm)

What's your experience with the Schallers and Hipshots? I'm considering the hopshot vintage style. Your comment is much appreciated. Cheers.
M.

Unless you get the pre-slotted with multiple slots you again are going to be locked into one string spacing. Why not just have a tech RE-SLOT your existing saddles and try whatever spacing you want? Just a thought.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:06 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Quote:
Unless you get the pre-slotted with multiple slots you again are going to be locked into one string spacing. Why not just have a tech RE-SLOT your existing saddles and try whatever spacing you want? Just a thought.

+1, excellent idea. If your bass is still all original, and has potential for future growth in value, you could by new saddles, have them slotted as mentioned above, and keep the originals to restore the bass down the road.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:54 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

brotherdave wrote:

Hey brotherdave… just to double check ( English is not my native language) you mean to ask the luthier to add a slot on the existing saddles?

I have actually thought about that before, but didn't believe it as a possible solution… would deffo ask him about that.

Cheers mate!
M.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:56 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

rmosele wrote:
stroker vance wrote:
Cajuns never replace bridges . That's all there is to it. It's like replacing a good crawfish boil . If it works don't fix it. I'm gonna told you what!!!!!!!!

I declare! I ain't never heered nothin like that ever before agin. (in best Justin Wilson accent)

IEEEE oh boy right there- you juss put dem lil cray fishes down in dat boil and let 'em turn red den you got somthin' I'm toll you what now.

I played down in La. for about a couple months or so. Got invited all the time to here and there. Very nice people I met and had a great time.