It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Bass Bridge Replacement : Why ?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:55 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

So I have a MIJ Fender Jazz, and I was wondering if replacing the bridge does anything except make the bass look cool ?

Does it affect the "ease of fretting strings" at all ?

Does it affect the sound/tone/intonation ?

Post subject: Re: Bass Bridge Replacement : Why ?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:07 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Cajuns never replace bridges . That's all there is to it. It's like replacing a good crawfish boil . If it works don't fix it. I'm gonna told you what!!!!!!!!

Behringer, Rotosound, ALL PARTS, Duncan,
Dimarzio , Fender Mod Shop,
Roadworn Players Union , Fender Noiseless,

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:49 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

A frequently debated topic here on the Fender Lounge Forum, there are some here who swear by the old school stock Fender bidges & others who swear by Leo Quan Badass bridges
My basses have both bridges (3 x basses with Badass, 1 x fretless jazz bass with the old school Stock bridge & 1 x 5 string jazz with a Fender HMV bridge.....

I have to say that if your bass sounds good as is then leave it alone :) I like the Badass bridge on my basses that I bought with this bridges stock on them (at the moment my Badass equipted Marcus Miller 4 string is my #1 go to bass )
but I also like the old school stock bridge on my Jaco Jazz & the HMV bridge that comes stock on my American deluxe Jazz 5 is good bridge.........with regard to my style of playing (classic & hard rock) the bridges that have come stock on my basses be it Badass or old school Fender seem to do the job just fine.... :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:07 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

yes, my mij jazz bass will be left alone... She is a beauty to play...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:32 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

Yes string through body or Top load ???? is a whole other debate.....My American Deluxe Jazz 5 is the first string through body bass that I've ever owned.....I do have to say ...I do like it :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:49 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

CajunBlues wrote:
So I have a MIJ Fender Jazz, and I was wondering if replacing the bridge does anything except make the bass look cool ?

Does it affect the "ease of fretting strings" at all ?

Aftermarket bridges usually are higher mass which adds greater sustain and frequently are more stable. Not all types of music require milking all the sustain you can out of the instrument. The screw threaded Fender Vintage Bass bridge is one of my favorites. The Leo Quan aftermarket high mass ones are very well designed but unless you get the ones with the pregrooved saddles they are going to be a pro install...meaning you have to find someone with the right files to slot the bridge so figure on $50 more for the bridge setup.

Bridge mods are no different from any other mod, they often turn out to be a can of worms. I too use both. In my opinion what you get with a high mass bridge is not a better tone, but the same tone for longer. Unless you have a bass that won't intonate with a stock bridge there is no intonation advantage. Sometimes the height adjustment screws on the Fender bridge can move on their own, but some clear fingernail polish stops that. A high mass bridge won't make your bass play better, unless your existing bridge has some issue or you just wind up with a better setup.

On a passive bass there are other things to spend money on that make more tonal difference than a high mass bridge.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:40 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

IMHO putting on a B*DDA*SS bridge just makes the bass look cool.

A bass body either sounds good or it doesn't. That is in the body wood and no bridge will compensate for a dull sounding body. You may prefer the method of adjustment or the look that a replacement bridge offers. If so then go ahead and replace it, but in my experience, I have used a Precision bass with the stock bridge and then a BA bridge and I didn't hear any improvement in the tone of the bass due to the new bridge.

I do have a 70's jazz with an original BA bridge inset into the bass body, and I still think that the original bridge would sound just as good on this bass.

I think it is more hype than fact that a bridge improves the tone of a Fender bass.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:01 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I've been reading up on the Gotoh 201B-4 (model # for Fender bridge replacement) I haven't tried one yet but may give 'em a try if I ever find myself in need of a replacement bridge, they've gotten good reviews &....they're also half the price of a Leo Quan BadassII :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:27 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

stroker vance wrote:
Cajuns never replace bridges . That's all there is to it. It's like replacing a good crawfish boil . If it works don't fix it. I'm gonna told you what!!!!!!!!

I declare! I ain't never heered nothin like that ever before agin. (in best Justin Wilson accent)

"the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones that never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn"
Jack Kerouac, On the Road

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:44 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

James Coderre wrote:
I've been reading up on the Gotoh 201B-4 (model # for Fender bridge replacement) I haven't tried one yet but may give 'em a try if I ever find myself in need of a replacement bridge, they've gotten good reviews &....they're also half the price of a Leo Quan BadassII :)

The Gotoh 201 is actually preferred by some players over the Leo Quan. They are very well made, lower profile, far more affordable and just as stable. Plus no special tools are needed for installation. They are my (pardon the pun) GO TO high mass bridge recommendation. Sorry, couldn't help that. The 201 has the Brother Dave Seal of Bridge Worthiness and so does the Fender Vintage Bass Bridge with the threaded saddles. I like and use them both.

I agree with B.C. Bassman to a point about them looking cool. The BAI no, The BAII maybe. I think the BAIII was Quan's best design. But no matter how good a design is, if you can't get parts you are in a mess, which is precisely why Leo Quan lost me as a customer forever. No more chances for them and No soup for you Leo!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:17 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

:lol: ..good one Dave! but you're right they are Go To..& available to be puchased...& as you know 3 of my Fenders came with Badass II as a stock bridge but if I were to ever replace a stock Fender bridge...at this point I'd definately go with a Gotoh 201 or a Fender HVM Bridge....I love the performance of the Fender HVM bridge on my String through body 2011 American Deluxe Jazz 5 :D & Leo Quan has also lost me as a customer by not answering my emails & not making parts available....(I recently had slight damage done to a saddle after a portable heater fell over & the corner of the heater landed on the bridge saddle of my Steve Harris P-Bass taking off a piece of the saddle.......luckily thats where the damage ended.......no scratches or dings on the bass) :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:06 am 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

BA1 vs BA2- The BA2 is far more preferable on a Fender bass but the original intent of the BA1 was to replace the Gibson bass bridges that didn't allow the EB0 and EB3 basses to get low action.

All of the 1970s long scale EB0s and EB3s were built without a neck angle and the Gibson 3 point bridge requires a neck angle to be properly set up. The BA1 bridges set up a bit lower so that lower action could be achieved on these basses.

My 1971 Jazz bass has a BA1 installed and it is inset into the body, (not my installation).
I would prefer the stock bridge on this bass but what's done is done.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:13 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

CajunBlues wrote:

Does it affect the "ease of fretting strings" at all ? As with any bridge, the set-up will take of that.

Yes, particularly going from a low mass vintage style bridge to a modern hi-mass bridge.

Many of the folks mention in detail what the differences are. You need to decide what compromise you want in regards to tone in relation to function.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:36 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Since I'd like to keep the bridge pu cover on my American Vintage Jazz RI 62 (1998) would the Gotoh 201B or Hipshot A Style even fit? Are there any other choices?
I need to replace the bridge because the (threaded) saddles move around too much and screw up the intonation constantly (the nail polish trick doesn’t work)
I heard that a Babicz bridge won't fit under the bridge pu cover and L Quan has developed a bad reputation over the years regarding customer service.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:49 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I think the Gotoh 201B would be the best option, just make sure the bridge cover doesn't rub against the bridge.....you may have to stay put with the stock bridge....or you may want to talk to one one the guitar tech's at your local music store & see what they suggest regarding a replacement bridge for a jazz bass that would retain it's bridge cover......... :)