It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: 1972 Jazz Bass
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:25 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I have a 1972 Fender Jazz bass with "untouched" electronics. The bass has never been apart. The problem is the bass PU is very weak, but still functions. Is it wise to have the PU rewound or would this effect the value of an all-original bass? It is retired from active duty and currently serves as a "practice" bass. The problem is I could never use this bass in a studio/live setting because the lack of low end. Funny thing is it sounds more like my Rickenbacker. :D

Question: Will fixing the problem effect the value of the bass?

Post subject: Re: 1972 Jazz Bass
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:36 am 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Contact Lindy Fralin about a re-wind but before you do, pull the pickguard off, isolate the pickup -- electronically -- and test the coil with a DVM to confirm that indeed there's something amiss with the coil. It's possible that the problem is merely a bad volume pot or wiring-related that some "touch-up" with a soldering pencil would cure. A re-wound original pickup *may* diminish the instrument's value but certainly far less than replacing the pickup outright.

Best of luck, HTH

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:36 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Well by isolating the pickup to check it you'll have to disconnect one of the solder joints. That in itself will make the electronics "non-original." Once you break an original solder joint it is no longer factory stock electronics.

You really have no choice though if you want to use it for anything other than your own amusement. Lindy Fralin can rewind it to year vintage specs. That costs about the same as a new pickup, but I'd rewind the original. Others do rewinding, but if you want the best....you pay.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:20 pm 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Ditto,It always better to stay with the original and fix it then to replace it with a new one,realisticaly how much could it possibly lower the value of the bass by re-winding the original pickup? personally as a collector and a player I would'nt care at all if the pickup was re-wound correctly by a proven best of the best like Lindy Fralin,but some people look to find fault in anything possible to pi$$ and moan about.
You are gonna keep the bass and play it and record it right ? enjoy it then,rewind the pickup and play it dont worry about losing a few hundred bucks over fixing it,if you leave it alone and try to sell it that way there's more to complain about with a pickup not working than one correctly re-wound to factory specs.
ENJOY THE BASS,your fortunate to own one.
G/LUCK :mrgreen: GOT ANY PICS 4 US?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:44 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Great advice. Thank you all very much. Is the person you suggest to rewind the PU a member on this post? I need to get contact information.

Last edited by scheil442 on Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:16 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Ok..I read a few posts and have the image uploaded to photobucket. Should have a pic up soon.

Last edited by scheil442 on Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:27 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Here we go, my 1972 Jazz......

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:30 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

scheil442 wrote:
Here we go, my 1972 Jazz......

IT'S OFFICIAL:I NOW HATE YOU !! LOL,LOL!! What a great bass,you are fortunate to have such a killer JazzBass,It makes me want to take mine and put it through a woodchipper. :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:12 pm 
Roadie
Roadie

You know parts will wear out on these old basses, even more so if they have been played hard for the past 39 years. As in the case of my Sunburst '72 jazz. It is a real working mans bass (as you can tell from the photo). The frets had been replaced because they were simply worn down. Also the bridge pickup was rewound due to all the years of hard playing as well as the volume pots. I don't think there is much life left in the tone pot, that will have to be replaced at some point too.

As you can see this bass was well played!

BTW, great looking bass you have there! Maple with the black blocks is just a killer combo!

2013 Fender Precision Special (Special Edition PJ)
1999 Musicman Sterling

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:14 pm 
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

She's a beaut, bassclef!

I saw a Carole King special on TV a few years back and her bassist had the exact same instrument.

And to the OP -- yours is just as gorgeous, sir!

RAWK ON (both of you)!

8) 8) 8)

Arjay

"Here's why reliability is job one: A great sounding amp that breaks down goes from being a favorite piece of gear to a useless piece of crap in less time than it takes to read this sentence." -- BRUCE ZINKY

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:05 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

It is indeed a beautiful black JB. Rock on.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:39 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

72 ASH baby!

I have the covers but I took them off.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:05 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

I guess there are only three of us who have 72 Jazz basses . I don't know about you guys but I could post a pic of mine every day and not get tired of it. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:15 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

bassclef wrote:
You know parts will wear out on these old basses, even more so if they have been played hard for the past 39 years. As in the case of my Sunburst '72 jazz. It is a real working mans bass (as you can tell from the photo). The frets had been replaced because they were simply worn down. Also the bridge pickup was rewound due to all the years of hard playing as well as the volume pots. I don't think there is much life left in the tone pot, that will have to be replaced at some point too.

I played the heck out of my 74 P bass- I've had to replace the pot's. pickguard, and frets. Also had it refinished. They are made to use. My 72 still has the original electronics(pots,cap.input etc). It's had a fret job too.

BTW, great looking bass you have there! Maple with the black blocks is just a killer combo!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:02 pm 
Roadie
Roadie

bassclef wrote:

Dude, that is why I got a Sunburst Steve Bailey model. I can't wait until mine looks like yours.

Stay Brown,
Rev J