It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post subject: American Deluxe Noise
Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:47 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Have a new Fender American Deluxe V and has an electrical buzz to matter where I play. I had the ground checked out at my local authorized dealer and it was fine. He told me that it is probably just the nature of the beast. The noise is not as loud in passive mode. Is this true, its something that I may have to deal with? I have an American PBass Deluxe & an modified Mexican Jazz with a super hot preamp and both are quiet as a mouse. Hate to know that I have a bass valued at $1700 that I would have second thoughts on using since it has a noticeable buzz. It's on the way back to the company I bought it from but they have even said in an email that it may be the nature of the beast also. Anyone else have this issue or any suggestions?

American Elite Series
Post subject: Re: American Deluxe Noise
Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:23 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

I'm sure your bass need some repair

I uderstand you try to play in different place / room .
You tried other guitar cord.
You try another amp .

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:28 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Yes played in several different places, used different cords, di, amp etc... Have unplugged this bass and plug in another one of my active ones and the noise goes away. It does have the noiseless pups in it so one would think it would be quiet. Hopefully the company I purchased from will figure something out. Fingers crossed!

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:50 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

bass.strings wrote:
Yes played in several different places, used different cords, di, amp etc... Have unplugged this bass and plug in another one of my active ones and the noise goes away. It does have the noiseless pups in it so one would think it would be quiet. Hopefully the company I purchased from will figure something out. Fingers crossed!

See your dealer and try another one

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:31 am
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

stratele52 wrote:
I'm sure your bass need some repair

I uderstand you try to play in different place / room .
You tried other guitar cord.
You try another amp .

+1

Always try first before buy, you probably got a defective bass.

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:23 am
Roadie
Roadie

Have to agree with the defective diagnosis. It could be one of the pickups or one of the pots. It might also be a bad solder joint. It might even be that not everything is properly grounded. In any event, if the bass is new and you have no reason to keep that particular one, probably take it back.

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:42 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Thanks guys! I'm waiting to hear back from the dealer to see what they say.

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:32 pm
Rock Icon
Rock Icon

Quality control slipped since 2010 as a result of Fender's decision to cut production costs and save money.

The cuts prompted Fender to standardize the American Deluxe series by deleting a couple of key features.

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:45 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Well just got an email from Sweetwater and they said that they have checked the bass out and the noise that i'm hearing is typical of the active circuitry of this model.

Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:06 pm
Roadie
Roadie

I've bought from Sweetwater quite a few times and have no reason not to trust them. On that basis, it sounds like a bad design on Fender's part. Noise as you described makes the bass unusable for the most part. So I guess this serves as a warning about that particular model ...

Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:32 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

I have the American Deluxe Jazz V, very noisy too, its the N3 pickups that caused the noise on mine. I installed some Aguilar hum cancelling pickups, not as noisy, but still very noisy compared to all my other basses. And like the N3s, low in output too. The active circuit was unusable due to the excessive high frequency noise.
So I put Seymour Duncan SJ5 67-70 single coils in the Deluxe. Totally quiet now. Much better lows, mids, growl, everything. And the active circuit is now usable as its not amplifying a whole lot of high frequency noise.

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:49 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

bass.strings wrote:
Well just got an email from Sweetwater and they said that they have checked the bass out and the noise that i'm hearing is typical of the active circuitry of this model.

Damn, I just ordered my Deluxe V on ebay and then saw your post. I hope the buzzing isn't too bad. I guess that's the problem with buying online and not in store.

Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:12 am
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

It needs more shielding. I have a 2004 FMT AmDlx Jazz V...great bass but it buzzes. I opened the control cavity and if I touch the pots the buzz basically goes away. Also, if I touch the strings it is greatly reduced. Many topics on this on the net.

I purchased a newer Jazz AmDlx V when they were re-introduced a few years back (only white/black blocks). Buzzed even worse. Since it was new and I paid I think $1699 at the time I just returned it since I thought it was crazy to pay that much for a bass that needs further work to be an acceptable instrument.

Hope they get it right with the new series...my Stingray 5 HH is completely silent as an example. And having the pickups in their hum cancelling (equal) position still buzzes. It buzzes more in active mode since you are amplifying the noise.

Here's an article that discusses how to shield an instrument.

http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2011/09/20/the-buzz-killer-how-to-shield-your-bass

Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:09 pm
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

It's possible that your bass hadn't been shielded correctly or not at all, when in assembly. Shielding should be a non-issue when spending roughly 1800.00 for an instrument. However, once the cavity has been properly shielded, you will have a dazzling bass guitar.

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:32 pm
Rock Star
Rock Star

Odd that more than one person is saying their AD bass is noisy.
My '13 American Deluxe is quiet as a church mouse.
There must be something wrong under the hood and I'm not buying the, "it's normal, get used to it" argument.
They are noiseless pups. They're supposed to be noiseless. That's kind of the point.
Mine are. Passive or active mode, they're quiet.
If it were me I would insist it is unacceptable and make my expectations of them making it right very loud and clear.

Go to page 1, 2  Next