It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Re: Fender Jazz Bass,made in mexico
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:25 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

When you say 'Once again, and as always, there is typically some overlap and carryover of number prefixes from year to year.'
Is that why mine reads MZ50...And then 5 numbers or digets?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:42 am 
Aspiring Musician
Aspiring Musician

Meshica7 wrote:
Here's a couple of pics of my MIM Jazz....

Wow! :shock: some really nice graining in the wood :!: thats not usually found on the MIM standard basses,most the time there so many coats of paint the graining is usually covered up conceling the basswood made bodies.
Lately the last few years or so they(MIM basses in general)have come up a long way,some of the newer lines being made in the Mexico factory are some killer looking basses,like the 60's classic or the 70's jazzbasses are fitted with some real nice cuts of alder,The graining is matched almost perfectly and the 3 tone sunburst finish expertly done rivals any American made Fender (aside from the Custom shop)out today,electronics is another story for another day.
GOODLUCK W/IT, But its now time for some mods:aftermarket bridge,black or tortoise shell pickgaurd and maybe some new 62 re-issue pick-ups with a S-1 tone switch for some real heavy-duty passive tone w/out active electronics,Giving it a p-bass like grit.
Have fun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:12 pm 
Professional Musician
Professional Musician

The p guard looks like it's a vintage white one- I forget what they call those but I don't think they come with that new do they? OH YEAH Parchment is the color of that guard- those are usually on USAs'. It almost looks like a USA in the pics.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:13 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

stroker vance wrote:
The p guard looks like it's a vintage white one- I forget what they call those but I don't think they come with that new do they? OH YEAH Parchment is the color of that guard- those are usually on USAs'. It almost looks like a USA in the pics.

The gaurd is kind of a bone color..not really white..but I think you're right..Parchment.It is a MIM..the ser number starts with MZ5XXXX

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:38 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

stroker vance wrote:
Yeah he says he has just a couple things to do to it then lists about 37 mods to do. The worst one being putting a bad $@! 2 tone sucker bridge on it. Will they ever learn?..... bless there souls.

Just curious...why the negative sentiment concerning the BadAss bridge? Since I have never owned a bass with this type of bridge I am really wantig some input from folks with experience using them.What would you recommend?
I just know I really want to replace the current one..a bit thin. Are the Fender Hi-Mass bridges enough of an upgrade to warrant the investment?
Another idea I am kicking around..and bear with me..is a trem.Either a Kahler or Hipshot.
Any input would be appreciated!
Thanx!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:15 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Meshica7 wrote:
stroker vance wrote:
Yeah he says he has just a couple things to do to it then lists about 37 mods to do. The worst one being putting a bad $@! 2 tone sucker bridge on it. Will they ever learn?..... bless there souls.

Just curious...why the negative sentiment concerning the BadAss bridge? Since I have never owned a bass with this type of bridge I am really wantig some input from folks with experience using them.What would you recommend?
I just know I really want to replace the current one..a bit thin. Are the Fender Hi-Mass bridges enough of an upgrade to warrant the investment?
Another idea I am kicking around..and bear with me..is a trem.Either a Kahler or Hipshot.
Any input would be appreciated!
Thanx!

Not everyone believes the Leo Quan hype about BA Bridges having "better tone." Actually what you get with one is the same tone as you have before only it lasts longer. So if you need more sustain then a high mass bridge is in order.

Many people find that the original Fender bridges are easier to initially setup. If the stock Fender bridges were good enough for James L. Jamerson, Duck Dunn, Carol Kaye, Timothy B. Schmidt, John Entwhistle, Noel Redding, Jaco Pastorius and so forth....they are good enough for me.

I'm often looking for ways to cut sustain to get vintage correct tones and wind up using a foam wedge under the strings or a felt wrap to do that. Some people use old socks.

Anyway, the Leo Quan bridges are ultra stable once you get them setup. But they can be a booger to setup. They also have longer saddle travel for intonation purposes than any other bridge which is an advantage. One disadvantage is their pathetic customer support. Two emails I sent to them over 18 months ago inquiring on purchasing a replacement part are still unanswered.

My all time favorite Fender bridge is the vintage threaded saddle one (Fender part number 099-0804-100) because the threads on the saddles stop lateral movement while playing. This one:

Installing a tremolo on a bass is a major decision as it requires routing the body of the instrument. This is pretty much an irreversible decision so make sure you really have to have it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:15 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Stroker!
Took a while for me to respond,I know,but I have considered the points you made in your post concerning the Bad $@! bridge and such.
I have decided to keep my bass pretty much original with the exception of the pick guard.
Since my last post I discovered something about the bridge on my MIM Jazzer...
The set screws on the D string saddle back out after about 20-30 minutes of playing resulting in string buzz. I am considering just installing the saddles over getting a whole bridge now. I really like the threaded saddles and have found a site where I can get genuine Fender parts.My local music store can also get the same parts for me.
BTW...I just got a 98/99 MIM 5 string Jazz in a trade this afternoon. Black with a white pick guard. The acton is a tad bit hight for my taste but nothing that can't be rectified. This fricken thing is heavy!
Will post pics soon!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:03 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

I bought my 2010 MIM Jazz used, added pickup and bridge covers, new pickguard and Fender knobs. The previous owner had swapped out the knobs for Precision type ones, definitely aftermarket. Here are before and after pics.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:30 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Nice!
The tortoise shell pick guard really sets off the burst...very nice..and vintage looking as well.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:01 pm 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:13 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

OK...as promised,pics of my newly acquired 89/99 MIM Jazz Bass 5 string...

Just needs a little truss rod adjusting and some new strings. :D :D

And here's a family portrait...

From left to right....

Squire Vintage Modified Jazz Bass Fretless with JZ3 pre-amp
Squire Affinity V with JZ3 pre-amp,custom paint pick guard
Standard MIM Jazz Bass with custom paint pick guard
Standard MIM Jazz Bass 5 string

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:33 am 
Rock Star
Rock Star

Nice family!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:38 am 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

oxfan wrote:
I bought my 2010 MIM Jazz used, added pickup and bridge covers, new pickguard and Fender knobs. The previous owner had swapped out the knobs for Precision type ones, definitely aftermarket. Here are before and after pics.

Pic 1... :? :wink:
Pic 2... :shock: :D :mrgreen: :) COOL

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:52 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

Go ahead and modify your Fender Jazz Bass MIM "Meshica7"! It's the 1st thing I did when I got my sunburst MIM in 1992. I don't find my Badass II to be a "tone sucker" at all. I modded mine with EMG's, a stacked Bass/Treble control in place of the tone knob, new knobs, new pickguard, and a Hipshot D-Tuner. I don't regret 1 mod. I'll never sell it. Go for it! Nice bass!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:17 pm 
Hobbyist
Hobbyist

My customized 1992 Fender Jazz Bass MIM with Flight Case & Chow Dog.